Articles by Somalia
- Danish Arrest 2 Somali-Born Brothers in 'Terror Plot'
May 29 2012 8:58 AM
The men, aged 18 and 23, were arrested on Monday after they were heard discussing plans for attack and potential targets, Danish Security and Intelligence officials said.
- Somalia: Is The End of Al-Shabab Nearing?
May 25 2012 2:31 PM
African Union and Somali troops captured an al-Shabab stronghold outside of Mogadishu on Friday, claiming another key victory against the al Qaeda-backed rebel group.
- August 20 In Somalia: A New Beginning, Or Another Failed Attempt?
May 24 2012 3:07 PM
On Wednesday, Somalia's interim leaders agreed on a schedule to end the current transitional period. By August, they hope, a newly elected government will lead a unified Somalia away from its tumultuous past.
- Somalia: African Union Troops Close In On Al Shabab Camp
May 23 2012 12:26 PM
Somali and African Union forces successfully expelled al-Shabab militants from villages around the rebel stronghold of Afgoye, but caused thousands of refugees to flee.
- Pakistan And Turkey Agree To Strengthen Economic, Trade Ties
May 22 2012 9:40 AM
Yousuf Raza Gilani and Recep Tayyip Erdogan also vowed to significantly increase the volume of trade between Turkey and Pakistan.
- National Defense Authorization Act Provisions Blocked By Federal Judge
May 17 2012 11:10 AM
A federal judge has ruled that provisions of a new law authorizing the U.S. government to indefinitely detain citizens violate the First and Fifth amendments, undercutting the Obama administration's claim that the measures are constitutional.
- Somaliland: Death By Firing Squad Ordered For 17 Civilians
May 17 2012 9:16 AM
A military court in Somaliland sentenced 17 civilians to death for attacking army officers in the capital of Hargeisa.
- EU Navy Attacks Onshore Pirate Base In Somalia
May 15 2012 9:08 AM
European Union naval forces attacked known pirate supplies in an overnight raid in Somalia on Tuesday.
- Somali Pirates Hijack Oil Tanker In Arabian Sea; Indians, Filipinos Among Captives
May 12 2012 6:54 AM
Pirates based on the coast of northern Somalia hijacked a Greek-owned oil tanker in the Arabian Sea with a crew of 15, mostly Indians and Filipinos.
- US Refuses To Negotiate With Al Qaeda For Hostage Warren Weinstein's Release
May 07 2012 4:33 PM
The United States will not negotiate with al-Qaida and the Obama Administration has called for the immediate release of kidnapped American expert Warren Weinstein shown in a video appeal this week.
- Al Qaeda Hostage Warren Weinstein Begs Obama For His Life in New Video [VIDEO]
May 07 2012 11:53 AM
Al Qaeda released a new video of American hostage Warren Weinstein begging President Obama for his life in exchange for following demands set by the terrorist organization.
- US Hostage Warren Weinstein Asks Obama To Meet Al Qaeda's Demands In Exchange For Life [VIDEO]
May 07 2012 6:44 AM
Al Qaeda on Sunday released a video of American hostage Warren Weinstein urging the US government to act upon his abductors' terms or else he would be put to death, the Agence-France Presse (AFP) reported. In the video titled A Message from the Prisoner Warren Weinstein to His President, the former USAID worker was seen seated behind a table as he addressed President Obama: My life is in your hands, Mr. President. If you accept the demands, I live;don't accept the demands, t...
- Newly Released Bin Laden Letters Highlight Al Qaeda's Internal Divisions, Media Campaigns
May 03 2012 1:39 PM
Newly released correspondence between Osama bin Laden and his top lieutenants illuminate the inner workings of Al Qaeda, touching on topics that include media messaging, the need to unify an increasingly fractured organization and fears that jihadists are alienating other Muslims.
- Red Cross Asks Pakistan Media Not To Broadcast Video Of Murdered Aid Worker
April 30 2012 12:12 PM
His kidnappers and killers have threatened to release a video they took of Dale?s decapitation.
- U.S. Embassy Warns of Impending Terror Attack In Nairobi, Kenya
April 23 2012 3:35 PM
In recent months, the new terror threat on Kenya has come from al-Shabab militants who rule much of neighboring Somalia
- Abu Qatada: 5 Facts About The Suspected Terrorist and His Deportation
April 17 2012 8:08 PM
On Tuesday, Abu Qatada was arrested by British authorities in advance of a planned deportation to Jordan. These five key facts about Qatada explain what he's done, where he's going, and when he might get there.
- Four Deny Plotting Danish Newspaper Attack
April 13 2012 3:49 PM
Four men are on trial for alleged plans to attack a Danish newspaper that published cartoons of the Muslim Prophet Muhammad
- Indonesia Earthquake: USGS Says Less Chance of Tsunami; No Casualties Reported
April 11 2012 7:21 AM
A geophysicist with the US Geological Survey has said it was unlikely that a tsunami would be generated given that this type of earthquake that largely involved the horizontal movement of the earth's blocks, does not produce a column of water that could cause a tsunami.
- 2 Quakes Hit Indonesia's Coast; Tsunami Watch Canceled
April 11 2012 5:23 AM
An 8.2-magnitude temblor struck 618 kilometers off the coast of Aceh province, epicenter of the December 2004 tsunami that killed hundreds of thousands of people in Asia. Two hours earlier, a magnitude-8.6 quake struck off Sumatra.
- The Kenyan Oil Discovery: Is A Big Payday In The Offing?
April 07 2012 11:45 AM
Tullow Oil PLC recently announced an oil discovery in Kenya. Here is an economic analysis of what the discovery could mean for the future of the country.