Articles by Somalia
- Female Suicide Bomber Kills 10 In Somalia Theater Blast
April 04 2012 8:43 AM
The heads of the African country's Olympic committee and national soccer federation were among the dead. The blast tore through a theater that was being rededicated.
- Number Of Executions Gradually Easing, Except For Middle East And China: Amnesty
March 27 2012 9:31 AM
The Middle East saw a nearly 50 spike rise in executions during a year of widespread turmoil and revolutions.
- Former President of Somalia, Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, Dies in UAE
March 23 2012 5:21 PM
Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, the former president of Somalia and a controversial leader, dies at the age of 77.
- EU Approves Attacks On Somali Pirate Lairs
March 23 2012 1:00 PM
The European Union approved attacks against land-based targets in Somalia on Friday as part of its effort to combat piracy off the Horn of Africa.
- British Woman Kidnapped In Kenya Freed
March 21 2012 10:27 AM
After six months held hostage by Somali pirates, British women has been released and prepares for her return home.
- Judith Tebbutt: UK Hostage Kidnapped in Kenya Freed
March 21 2012 9:10 AM
Somali pirates freed the U.K. woman they held hostage for more than six months on Wednesday. Somali gunmen had killed British publishing executive David Tebbutt and abducted his wife Judith Tebbutt in a raid at a luxury beach resort in neighboring Kenya last September.
- Somalia's Al-Shabab Denies Involvement In Nairobi Attacks
March 12 2012 3:04 PM
Somali rebel group al-Shabab denied responsibility for the deadly bomb attacks in Nairobi, Kenya on Saturday.
- Joseph Kony 2012: Invisible Children, Celebs and Neo-Colonial Campaign Controversy (PHOTOS)
March 12 2012 2:19 AM
The 30-minute Kony 2012 video by San Diego-based charity Invisible Children went viral last week promoted further by social media endorsements and campaigns by celebrities like Oprah Winfrey.
- Angelina Jolie's Leg Still Mentioned When Highlighting Women's Plight at War
March 09 2012 6:52 PM
Angelina Jolie took to the stage of the Women in the World Summit on Thursday and told the moving story of a Somali doctor whose farm has, for decades, been the safe-haven for many women fleeing hunger, violence and rape.
- Why Turkey is Coming to Somalia's Aid
March 08 2012 7:14 AM
Turkey has proved itself to be Somalia's best friend, and may the only country in the world actively trying to make Somalia a better place.
- Turkey Begins Historic Flights to Somalia
March 06 2012 10:50 AM
Turkish Airlines landed the first commercial flight to Mogadishu in more than 20 years on Tuesday. The airline will make regular twice-weekly flights to the previously war-torn city from Istanbul's Ataturk airport.
- Saif al-Adel: Was the al-Qaeda Leader Really Captured?
February 29 2012 9:54 AM
Mohammed Ibrahim Makkawi was arrested in Cairo on Wednesday. But which Mohammed Ibrahim Makkawi was it? The al-Qaeda apostate or the militant leader behind the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings?
- Italy Held Accountable for Deported African Migrants
February 24 2012 4:04 PM
Italy has been fined by a European court for violating the human rights of African migrants.
- Mysterious Air Strike Kills 7 Al-Shabab Rebels in Somalia
February 24 2012 10:54 AM
Seven al-Shabab militants were reportedly killed during an overnight airstrike in southern Somalia.
- Ethiopia-Somalia Rebel Combat Intensifies, World Leaders Discuss Somalia at London Conference
February 23 2012 11:38 AM
Two major explosions shook the key Somalia city of Baidoa, only hours after Ethiopian troops and pro-government forces there helped wrest the Baidoa from the hands of Al-Qaeda backed insurgents. The intensifying conflict falls on the same day world leaders gather in London for a conference to address diplomatic response to decades of instability in Somalia.
- World Leaders Gather in London for Somali Talks
February 23 2012 10:50 AM
Clinton and Prime Minister Cameron were joined by other heads of state, Arab Sheikhs and UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon as well as representatives from several Somali factions.
- Kevin Rudd Resigns as Aussie FM: 'A Lancing of the Leadership Boil'
February 22 2012 4:43 PM
Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd resigned on Wednesday after a row with fellow party member Prime Minister Julia Gillard.
- Somali Children as Human Shields in Combat, Abused and Forced into Marriage: Rights Group
February 22 2012 7:05 AM
Somalia is not the only country known for inflicting such horror on children. During a period of intensified Palestinian–Israeli violence that started in 2000, gunmen surrounded themselves with children while shooting on Israeli forces. Various other reports have also suggested that the Taliban used women and children from their own communities as human shields against coalition forces around the year 2006.
- Somali Militants Al-Shabaab Forcibly Recruiting Children: Report
February 21 2012 10:34 AM
Some of these youths, who have been abducted from their homes and schools, have been subjected to rape and forced marriage.
- Another Great Famine Looming Over Africa
February 11 2012 5:08 AM
The crisis means nearly 12 million more people require assistance.