- The UAE is making it more difficult for immigrant laborers to enter the country on tourist and other short-term visas in a bid to prevent foreign criminals from entering the country under the guise of looking for work. The rapidly developing country has been built up with immigrant labor mostly from South Asia, who form a majority of the Gulf nation's 8 million plus population.
- Turkey is increasing security along its southern border while it tries to get a handle on the stream of refugees fleeing Syria's bloody conflict.
- Crude oil output from the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) climbed by 90,000 barrels per day (b/d) in August to 31.54 million b/d as increases from Angola, Iraq, Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) outstripped decreases from Algeria and Iran, a Platts survey of OPEC and oil industry officials and analysts showed Tuesday. This follows July production of 31.45 million b/d and leaves OPEC overproducing its 30 million b/d ceiling by 1.54 million b/d.
- Dubai International is rapidly becoming a major international connection. For ailing Qantas Airways Limited (ASX: QAN) the move of its European hub from Singapore to the UAE will help lower the cost of shuttling travelers back and forth between Melbourne or Sydney and London.
- The UN passed a new set of international standards designed to protect the rights of domestic workers, who often suffer from abuse at the hands of their employers.
- For a mere $8 billion, Iraq gets brand spanking new American fighter jets -- and a heavily armed neighborhood gets some more lethal, highly advanced weapons
- A surge in orders for weapons, most of which from developing nations, has turned into a boon for U.S. companies -- and they have the Saudis to thank more than anybody else.
- When Tiffany & Co. (NYSE: TIF) cut its fiscal year sales and earnings guidance for a second straight quarter on Monday, stock in the company rallied over 7 percent. The reason: investors think the worst is over for the New York-based jeweler.
- China, Arab countries seeing booming trade despite political unrest. Trade between China and Arab countries has maintained steady growth since Y 2011, despite regional political unrest. Trade between China and countries in the Middle East and North Africa totaled US$111.78-B in 1-H of Y 2012, a Y-Y growth of 22.1%, according to Chinese customs figures published earlier this month.
- The kidnapping of more than 20 people, all Sunni Muslims, in Lebanon has stirred rumblings of a Syrian-conflict spillover. But the clan responsible for the killings insists it just wants its kinsman back, who was kidnapped by the Syrian Free Army on Monday.
- A rights group has urged the Nepal government to revoke its recently imposed ban on women under the age of 30 working in the Persian Gulf nations and, instead, improve protective measures to ensure safer migration for domestic workers.
- A U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyer, USS Porter, collided with a Japanese-owned and Panamanian-flagged bulk-oil tanker, M/V Otowasan, on Sunday at 1 a.m. local time just outside the strategically important Strait of Hormuz between the Gulf of Oman and the Persian Gulf, according to the U.S. 5th Fleet.
Team GB vs. South Korea: Watch Live Stream Online of Great Britain In Olympic Football Quarterfinal; Prediction, PreviewWatch live coverage of Great Britain against South Korea in the quarterfinals of the men's Olympic football competition, plus a full preview and prediction.
Team GB vs. Uruguay: Watch Live Stream Online of Great Britain?s Decisive Olympic Football Clash; Prediction, PreviewWatch live coverage as Great Britain take on Uruguay in the first round of the men's Olympic football competition, plus a full preview and prediction.
- A look ahead to Great Britain's crucial final match in Group A of the men's Olympic soccer competition, against Uruguay.
VIDEO Team GB 3-1 UAE: Highlights; Great Britain Win to Put Their Olympic Challenge Back On Track [Men's Football]Watch highlights of Great Britain's victory over the United Arab Emirates in the preliminary round of the men's football.
Team GB Vs. UAE: Watch Live Stream Online of Great Britain in Olympic Football Action; Prediction, PreviewWatch live coverage as Great Britain take on the United Arab Emirates in the men's Olympic football competition, plus a full preview and prediction.
Syria: Regime Forces Pound Aleppo; Opposition Calls For Support As Annan Says He Fears 'Imminent Battle'Tanks and helicopters pounded a rebel stronghold in the Syrian city of Aleppo Saturday, signaling the start of a government offensive, as the opposition and international envoy Kofi Annan warned the international community of dire consequences.
- Dubai's police chief Dahi Khalfan has warned that Islamists are plotting to overthrow the governments of Gulf Arab states, following a recent spate of arrests of political dissidents.