A basement can be made into a more livable area in the house. Basement renovation is cheaper than the cost and effort in a home addition since it already has roofing, air conditioning, heating, plumbing and ventilation. Renovating it into a living space can give you many advantages.
Before you proceed on your renovation plans, make sure to determine what your family needs and can benefit most in the coming years. You could either transform the basement into a game room, trendy media room, home spa, home office, guest room or a playroom. Make sure to weight your options carefully.
Following are some ways to make your basement into a more livable space:
- Measure the whole area and sketch a floor plan, which includes electrical outlets, stairs, laundry facilities, heating units and partitions.
- Make a list of the things you need in the new area including an extra storage, wet bar, bookshelves, built-ins and benches.
- Decide on the decorations you want to put in the area. Select colors that match the space you are going to make.
- Add additional living space and decide on what you need to store and the space that you need.
- The stairway should be safe and accessible. Make sure that the handrail is tight against the wall and the carpeting is tightly fixed. Adequate light is also necessary in the new living area.
- Decide the kind of flooring on the room. You could choose wood, ceramic tile or carpeting with moisture barrier. Another good choice is polished cement.
- You can opt to install farming on the walls, put up plaster panel walls or wood. Make sure to add build-in storage and hanging racks.
- You can use ceiling tiles, suspended ceiling or drywall for the ceiling. Suspended ceiling is easier to install compared to a drywall.
- Hire the services of a professional to install the electrical, HVAC systems and the plumbing in the new living area. However, you can also enhance the look of the room by installing space heaters and floor lamps.
- The egress or the exit point beside the stairway is necessary if you want to renovate the basement, which includes a bedroom. You can check out the local building code in the area to determine the type of egress you want for your basement bedroom.
Remember that even the best-designed basement could still experience serious leak, flood or spill. It is best to install water-resistant or impermeable wall and floor finishes such as vinyl flooring and ceramic tile to lessen damage and makes cleaning up easier.
Renovating your basement is an investment that is both challenging and rewarding. Transforming it into a living space definitely adds value and quality to your property. With proper planning, correct resources and right execution of the renovation project, you can benefit more from this venture in the real estate world.
Author Resource:-> Enjoy picture-perfect amenities in Phoenix AZ Homes for Sale, fixer upper homes in Fixer Upper Homes in Phoenix AZ and find additional space in Gilbert AZ Houses with Basements for Sale.
Article From Real Estate Pro Articles