The woman who accused University of Florida freshman quarterback Treon Harris of sexual assault has withdrawn her claim, his attorney said Friday. School officials have yet to announce if Harris will remain suspended.
“The young lady who claimed Treon Harris sexually battered her has withdrawn her complaint,” Harris’ lawyer Huntley Johnson said in a statement, according to ESPN. “I am pleased for Treon Harris and his family. The ball is in the university’s court.”
A University of Florida official confirmed that the accuser had dropped her claim against Harris but said the player could still face legal repercussions. “This means she is not pursuing criminal charges against him at this time but maintains the right to do so in the future,” said Janine Sikes, Florida’s assistant vice president of media relations, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
The University Athletic Association will have additional information on Harris’ status later on Friday, Sikes said. It’s unclear if the school is considering his reinstatement to the football team.
Harris was suspended on Monday after an allegation that he sexually assaulted the woman, who is reportedly a fellow University of Florida athlete, in an on-campus residence hall early Sunday morning. Earlier on Friday, Harris’ attorneys claimed that his accuser initiated their contact.
“We know that an individual has given testimony to law enforcement that he had sexual relations with the alleged victim less than an hour before the alleged sexual conduct with our client took place,” Harris’ lawyers said in a statement. “In fact, testimony indicates the young lady in question was the sexual aggressor in that interaction.”
The lawyers added that eyewitnesses saw Harris and his accuser “smiling” and “holding hands” before they returned to the on-campus residence hall. They reportedly knew each other and spent time together before the alleged incident.