But first the tweet in question - few hours ago the Cole posted, Millions are in uproar in #Cairo. Rumor is they heard our new spring collection is now available online at http://bit.ly/KCairo -KC
Following the uproar against the tweet in the internet community, a brief apology followed on Twitter, which said, Re Egypt tweet: we weren't intending to make light of a serious situation. We understand the sensitivity of this historic moment -KC
As the controversy refused to die down, Kenneth Cole removed the offensive tweet and followed it up with an apology on his Facebook page, which read: I apologize to everyone who was offended by my insensitive tweet about the situation in Egypt. I've dedicated my life to raising awareness about serious social issues, and in hindsight my attempt at humor regarding a nation liberating themselves against oppression was poorly timed and absolutely inappropriate.
Kenneth Cole, Chairman and Chief Creative Officer
With the tweet hitting the headlines following the uproar on the internet community, a comedian seems to have found it befitting to take on Cole on the same battlefield with the weapon of humour. It can be recalled that humour was the word Cole's rep used to shield the designer when he stirred a controversy soon after the 9/11 with an ad that read God Dress America. Cole followed it up with a print ad in Vogue, which said, On Sept. 12th, families returned to the dining room table. TODAY IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL. In the wake of the Katrina devastation, Cole wrote another 'punny' copy for billboards that said, Hurricanes aren't ending. And bird flu is now coming. BUT WEAR?
The KennethColePR account on the microblogging site locates itself at A disaster near you and goes with the bio Kenneth Cole is all about making sure you look good...no matter what's happening. Here are some of the hilarious tweets poking fun at Cole for the #Cairo tweet:
- Austrian Men: Got a daughter you've impregnated locked in the basement? Cheer her up with a new sexy KC two-piece. #KennethColeTweets
- Our new looks are dropping faster than the World Trade Centre
- People in Moscow are EXPLODING once they hear about our sales
- People from New Orleans are flooding into Kenneth Cole store
- Black Pants Down - Our new looks are more slimming than a Somali diet!
- Wardrobe got you water-BORED? GITMO of our new spring collection.
- Jeffrey Dahmer world have eaten up our spring collection!
- Did a Jihadist blow up ur luggage while u were traveling in India? Head over to my store and Mumbai a whole new wardrobe!
- Parents of Hiroshima -- you'll melt when you see our new kids collection!