At least nine people were killed and several other were missing as the remains of Typhoon Nepartak swept into China over the weekend, the government said Monday. Hundreds of flights and trains have been canceled, while several homes damaged after the typhoon hit the country Friday.
Nepartak, which is the first typhoon of the season, first struck Taiwan with even greater power, leaving two people dead and 72 injured. It later weakened into a strong tropical storm after making landfall in Fujian on Saturday. More than 438,000 people had been evacuated after the storm hit the region, Fujian's water resources department said. Heavy rain and strong winds also damaged power stations leaving several areas in the province without electricity.
The civil affairs ministry said Monday that a total economic damage of 900 million yuan ($134.60 million) was reported following the typhoon, while 40,000 acres of crops were destroyed. The ministry also said that more than 900 houses were damaged.
Later on Sunday, the storm moved into neighboring Jiangxi Province, where 500 people have been evacuated, the ministry said, according to the Associated Press.
Since June 30, 164 people have been killed by floods, hail and landslides, while 32 million people across 26 provinces in China have been affected, the government said Friday.