* Cash and stock deal values Marvel at $50/shr
* Deal at 29 pct premium to Marvel closing price
* Disney gains access to library of 5,000 characters
* Marvel shares jump above $48 in premarket trade
* Disney shares down 3 percent
NEW YORK - Walt Disney Co said on Monday it plans to buy Marvel Entertainment Inc for $4 billion in a deal that would add characters like Iron Man, Spider-Man, and the Fantastic Four to its entertainment empire.
The cash and stock deal values Marvel at $50 per share, or a premium of 29 percent to Marvel's closing stock price of $38.65 on Friday. The deal has been approved by the boards of both companies.
Marvel's shares shot up to $48.70 in premarket trade. Shares of Disney, which will acquire ownership more than 5,000 Marvel characters, dropped about 3 percent in premarket trade.
Marvel shareholders would receive a total of $30 per share in cash plus approximately 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share they own. (Reporting by Paul Thomasch; Editing by Derek Caney)