NEW YORK, April 5 (Reuters) - U.S. palladium and platinum futures rose to their highest since 2008 on Monday on strong physical demand and better sentiment, and gold contracts hit a two-week high in thin post-holiday trade.
* For the latest detailed report, click on [GOL/].
* COMEX June GCM0 up $2.40 at $1,128.50 an ounce at 11:08 a.m. EDT (1508 GMT).
* Range $1,120.80 to $1,132.10 - loftiest since March 18.
* U.K. and some European commodities markets shut on Monday and last Friday for the Easter holiday break.
* A combination of Wall Street gains and broad-based commodities gains supporting gold - traders.
* Optimistic U.S. March nonfarm payrolls report from last Friday fueled risk appetite, boosting asset classes across the board.
* COMEX gold 11 a.m. volume at a thin 46,669 lots.
* Spot gold XAU= was at $1,128.30, compared with $1,124.50 late in New York's previous session.
* No London precious metals fixes available due to holiday.
* COMEX May silver SIK0 up 16.5 cents at $18.055 an ounce, as less-liquid silver outperforms gold.
* Range $17.81 to $18.11 -- highest since Jan. 20.
* COMEX gold 11 a.m. volume 15,727 lots.
* Spot silver XAG= at $18.03, versus $17.86 late in the prior session.
* July PLN0 up $24.70, or 1.5 percent, at $1,700.30 an ounce on better investment demand amid economic optimism.
* Auto demand recovery, supply concerns and favorable currencies trigger platinum group metals buying – William Rhind, strategic director of ETF Securities' U.S. unit.
* Platinum group supported as U.S. auto sales jumped to a seven-month high in March led by a 41 percent surge at Toyota. [ID:nN01149542]
* Spot platinum XPT= at $1,693.50 an ounce.
* June PAM0 up $11.25, or 2.3 percent, at $502.60 an ounce, on better outlook for global auto demand.
* June contracts rises above $500 for first time since March 2008.
* Volume was thin as metal markets in London and Europe are shut on Monday for the Easter holiday break
* Spot palladium XPD= at $499.50 an ounce.
Prices at 11:39 a.m. EDT (1539 GMT)
Last Change Pct 2009 YTD
Chg Close % Chg
US gold GCM0 1129.00 2.90 0.3 1096.20 3.0
US silver SIK0 18.035 0.145 0.8 16.845 7.1
US platinum PLN0 1700.40 24.80 1.5 1471 15.6
US palladium PAM0 502.60 11.25 2.3 408.85 22.9
Gold XAU= 1127.90 3.40 0.3 1096.35 2.9
Silver XAG= 18.00 0.14 0.8 16.84 6.9
Platinum XPT= 1691.50 23.00 1.4 1465.50 15.4
Palladium XPD= 499.50 9.50 1.9 405.50 23.2
(Reporting by Frank Tang; Editing by Lisa Shumaker)