“The Walking Dead” San Diego Comic-Con panel left fans with their jaws on the ground. Stars Andrew Lincoln (Rick), Norman Reedus (Daryl), Steven Yeun (Glenn), Lauren Cohan (Maggie), Danai Gurira (Michonne), Melissa McBride (Carol), Chad Coleman (Tyreese) and Michael Cudlitz (Abraham) were in attendance at the Friday, July 25 panel, along with executive producers Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, Dave Alpert and Greg Nicotero.
The group not only announced the Season 5 premiere date for “The Walking Dead,” but also released the official trailer and dropped major spoilers. Check out the 13 shocking (and all around awesome) things we learned about the upcoming fifth season from the SDCC panel:
1. Premiere Date: “The Walking Dead” Season 5 will premiere on AMC on Sunday, October 12 at 9 p.m. EDT.
2. Episode Timeline: Mark your calendars because “The Walking Dead” Season 5 will air its first eight episodes without breaks. However after that, the second half of the season will be on hiatus until February 2015.
3. Non-Stop Pudding: Chandler Riggs is still eating putting. The actor who plays Carl took to the stage with a giant can of pudding, just like the one his character ate while hanging out on the roof in Season 4.
— The Walking Dead AMC (@WalkingDead_AMC) July 25, 2014
4. Father Gabriel Confirmed:
Walking Dead's David Alpert confirms Seth Gilliam is playing Father Gabriel #SDCC
— Natalie Abrams (@NatalieAbrams) July 25, 2014
5. Season 5 Theme: Shrowrunner Scott Gimple teased that the group will find out if you can or can’t come back from the things you’ve done. “We’re going to see the story of Terminus,” he dished. “We’re going to see how it happens.”
6. The Comics: Fans of “The Walking Dead” graphic novels will like this. Creator Robert Kirkman revealed that events from the comics will appear early on in Season 5, and that the season will end very close to the comics.
7. Blu-Ray Treasures: Rick’s uncensored line from the Season 4 finale WILL be on the Blu-Ray.
8. Filming: Fans already know that “The Walking Dead” began filming (otherwise there would be no Season 5 trailer), but Greg Nicotero revealed specifically that they’re currently on episode 7.
9. The Titanic Part 2: Get ready for some underwater scenes in Season 5. Nicotero teased that the group will come across a room that has been flooded, and they’ll encounter bloated walkers.
10. Familiar Places: Season 5 of “The Walking Dead” will definitely be taking viewers into the unknown, however it will also bring fans back to some locations they’ll recognize.
11. Farmer Rick Is Gone: Don’t get your hopes up to see the Rick that Hershel tamed. Crazy Rick is back with a beard bushier than ever and his gun.
12. The Mystery Of Beth: Emily Kinney teased that her character has gotten a lot stronger since viewers first met her – which will be important for her surviving Season 5.
13. Carol And Tyreese: Melissa McBride revealed that Carol never thought that Tyreese would forgive her for her crimes, and that she accepted her fate.