Fans of TLC's Next Great Baker were saddened to learn that one of its contestants, Army Sgt. Wesley Durden, had committed suicide last October. They didn't know that Durden had passed until he was voted off the show one Monday night and saw the memorial note after the episode.
The note stated, In Memoriam. Wesley Durden 1982-2011. TLC extends its deepest condolences to Wesley's family and friends.
The network also issued a press released stating, TLC extends its deepest condolences to the family, friends, and colleagues of Sgt. Wesley Durden, who died Oct. 24. He will be warmly remembered by the cast and crew of 'Next Great Baker.'
Some fans were angry at the fact that the network didn't alert viewers of Durden's passing, until he was voted off the show.
Jacksonville Daily News reported on Oct. 27, that Durden died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound after production for the reality show ended.
So sad 2 hear tht Wesley Durden from Next Great Baker committed suicide in October but I am confused why TLC is just announcing it, a Twitter user posted.
Viewers seemed to have fallen in love with the 29 year old recreational baker prior to his death.
Here are some interesting facts about Wesley Durden.
- He was an active serviceman, a cook with the Army 82nd Airborne Division.
- He was a Ft. Bragg Army Sergeant.
- He twice deployed to Iraq: January 2007 to March 2008 and August 2009 to December 2009.
- He was married and survived by his wife and two young children, son, Wesley, 7, and his daughter, Giannia, 2.
- He was a North Carolina Boy who lived in Fayetteville.