Eleven students from Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut, were hospitalized Sunday for apparent overdoses of the drug molly, also known as MDMA, a psychedelic drug and stimulant, with one student was in critical condition. University spokeswoman Lauren Rubenstein told Reuters by email some of the students had "overdose symptoms consistent with the use of Molly [MDMA]."
The Wesleyan Argus, the university's student newspaper, reported an email from Vice President for Student Sffairs Michael Whaley put the number of hospitalized students at 11, some of whom had checked themselves into hospitals. He told the Argus there had been no fatalities.
A student in critical condition was at Middlesex Hospital, a student-run blog, Wesleying, said. A previous email sent to the entire campus Sunday said simply a student was in critical condition and two others had similar symptoms but were in less serious conditions.
One of the emails from Whaley was posted to Twitter by Wesleying. In it, he urged students to check on their friends and contact the director of public safety with any relevant information. It also said university public safety as well as Middletown police were actively investigating the incident.
Wes students: Check your email inboxes and read Dean Whaley's messages involving serious overdose incidences. pic.twitter.com/EuV0z5L1dC
â€” Wesleying (@wesleying) February 22, 2015
MDMA stands for mythlenedioxy-methamphetamine and is also known as ecstasy although the name molly refers specifically to the powdered form of the drug and ecstasy to the pill form. The synthetic drug produces sensations of increased energy and euphoria, the National Institute on Drug Abuse says. It can also increase a user's heart rate and blood pressure. Large amounts can affect body temperature leading to hyperthermia, "which can result in liver, kidney or cardiovascular system failure or even death."
These hospitalizations for taking MDMA are not the university's first. In September, several Wesleyan University students were hospitalized in the course of several weeks after taking molly.