While few people are familiar with San Francisco 49ers starting quarterback Blaine Gabbert, even fewer people are familiar with his girlfriend, Bekah Mills. Gabbert, 26, and Mills could become a hot topic as the quarterback leads the 49ers in their season opener on national television.
Here are 5 fast facts about Rebekah Mary Mills and her relationship with Gabbert.
1. They met in college The couple received their education at the University of Missouri. While Gabbert is a Missouri native, Mills grew up in Towanda, Kansas, which is located near Wichita.
2. She’s an athlete, too Mills played point guard on the women’s basketball team. She quit the team after suffering her fourth torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).
3. Mills has a masters degree in business accountancy. The 27-year-old graduated from the University of Missouri in May 2012. She was a class valedictorian at Circle High School in Towanda.
4. Mills is a “Senior Audit Associate” at KPMG which is an audit, tax and advisory services firm. She has been there since October 2012, according to her LinkedIn page. She was originally hired as an “Audit Associate” and described her job in the following way: “Work with a variety of public and private clients in the financial reporting process.”
5. She’s private on social media Even though Mills has an Instagram account, it is private. She has less than 200 followers. Her tag line reads, “Feet on the ground, Head in the clouds.” Her Twitter account is also private. On the 140-character mini blog she wrote for her description, “I will still be young tomorrow.”
Gabbert is replacing Colin Kaepernick as the 49ers’ quarterback. While some might assume Gabbert took over for Kaepernick because of his national anthem protest, the replacement was instated back in November of last season as Kaepernick has battled poor play and injuries.
Gabbert has not issued a statement about Kaepernick’s protest, nor has Kaepernick talked about Gabbert taking over his leading role on the team.
The 49ers take on the Los Angeles Rams at Levi's Stadium Monday at 10:20 p.m. EDT. The game will be shown on ESPN.
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella