New York advertising executive Madonna Badger lost her three children and parents in a fire that burnt her Stamford, Conn., waterfront home to the ground on Sunday.
Her parents, Lomer and Pauline Johnson, were visiting Badger for the Christmas. They would have celebrated their 49th anniversary on Monday, according to reports. Badger had a 10 year old child and 7-year-old twins.
Stamford Police Sgt. Paul Guzda said Madonna Badger and a male friend were able to escape the burning house. The male friend was identified by the The Stamford Advocate as Michael Borcina, a contractor. Police said the contractor was doing some work on the house.
Both Badger and Borcina were hospitalized after the fire, according to multiple news reports.
Police had to drive Badger's husband, Matthew Badger, who was in New York City at the time, to the scene.
Neighbors told the media that they were awoken by screams early that morning only to go outside and watch the house engulfed in flames.
Police said they got a call about the fire shortly before 5 a.m. on Sunday and that firefighters knew people were trapped inside, but the fire and heat were too intense.
The New York Post reported that the fire may have possibly been sparked by embers from disposed fireplace ashes, as the wind may have blown the embers into the old, wooden building.
Badger is the founder of New York City-based Badger & Winters Group. She bought the five-bedroom home for $1.7 million last year.
Here are 5 other things to know about Madonna Badger as noted on the company's Web site:
1. She is a 20-year-veteran of the beauty and fashion business.
2. She started her career in the Art Departments of Esquire and Madam Figaro, before launching the first issue of Allure as Associate Art Director.
3. In 1990, Madonna Badger joined CRK (the in-house agency for Calvin Klein), where she spent three years as senior art director. While there she helped create the new look of Calvin Klein with Mark Wahlberg and Kate Moss, and had a hand in the launch of CK One.
4. She started Badger & Winters Group in 1994 and one of the company's earliest achievements includes the creation of 5S for Shiseido.
5. She is a graduate of Vanderbilt University.