As Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps continues to win medals, his fiancée, Nicole Johnson, has been at the 2016 Rio games to cheer him on. She also brought along their 2-month-old son, Boomer. While Phelps is arguably the most famous athlete in the world, not everyone is as familiar with his future wife.
1. She’s a beauty queen. Johnson was crowned Miss California in 2010. She came in ninth place when she competed in the USA pageant. Phelps even took a break from training to be with his then-girlfriend when she transferred her crown to Alyssa Campanella in 2011. “I'm here for one reason and one reason only,” Phelps told E! News at the time. “Nicole.” She’s competed in 7 competitions during her career.
2. Johnson used to work at a Mercedes-Benz dealership. She got the gig in the summer of 2009 to help with her communication skills and to pursue one of her passions, which is cars. Currently, she is a Sales Communication Manager at Yellow Pages. Johnson has been there since 2014.
3. She graduated from University of Southern California in 2007 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in communications. She focused on sports and entertainment.
4. Her best friend is a French Bulldog named Ms. Juno. She even made her pooch an Instagram account. Juno was “named after the Roman goddess who was an Olympian,” her profile reads.
5. Johnson knows about the finer in things in life. The future Mrs. Phelps became an “accredited jewelry professional” through the Gemological Institute of America, according to her LinkedIn profile.
6. She won the hearts of Phelps’ family. After the two announced their engagement via social media in February 2015, Phelps’ sister, Hillary, sent her warm wishes. “CONGRATULATIONS to these two lovebirds on their engagement! Couldn’t be happier for my brother and thrilled to gain a sister, who I adore and love already!” Hillary wrote at the time, according to Hollywood Life.
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella