Verizon's Motorola Droid - the rumored iPhone Killer - goes on sale across the country today, with thousands of customers ready to get their hands on the new Google Android handset.
Verizon's flagship store in New York was the first to open its doors at midnight for early sales. Over 100 people turned out for the event.
I love the fact that its the first real good touch screen smart phone on Verizon. I was going to chose the iPhone but then I saw the specs on the Motorola Droid and saw that it was far superior. The 5 mega pixel camera is what sold me because I want crisp pictures and to directly upload to YouTube is cool and I love the GPS, said Joliz Cedeno from New York, one of the first to buy the handset.
Verizon loyalty appeared to be a common reason among early bird customers.
I was very tempted to go with iPhone. I'm a Mac person but Verizon kept me here. I was hoping that the iPhone would come to Verizon, but they didn’t and it doesn’t look like they will anytime soon so I'm here, said Chad Griffith from New York, said Chad Griffith from New York.
It’s the next new thing. I had the Razor a couple of years ago and I heard the curve was coming out so I got that but now its outdated so I need to get the next new thing which is the Droid. I'm a Verizon man and I love their service so I'm sticking with them, said Trevor Smith from New Jersey.
Motorola Droid Specs are also quite impressive:
• Verizon's Motorola Droid is 4.56 by 2.36 inches and weighs under 6 ounces.
• The phone has a 3.7-inch, 854-by-480 pixel touchscreen display.
• It has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard and a 5-megapixel camera with DVD-quality video recording.
• The Droid utilizes an Arm Cortex 550mHz A8 processor with 256MB of built-in memory. It has a 16GB microSD card and can be expanded to 32GB.
• With the Android 2.0 operating system, users can multi-task and it features unique options such as integrated turn-by-turn GPS navigation.
• The Droid connects to Google's Android Market, which features roughly 10,000 downloadable apps.
Read more on Motorola Droid: