A perfect CV and cover letter is what distinguishes a successful job applicant from others. In today's competitive job market, it is the best way to sell your potential to the possible employer. You may have more potential than other candidates so it is important that you demonstrate your suitability to the job vacancy in an appropriate and efficient manner. A perfect CV with an equally complimenting cover letter can do this for you.
The cover letter accompanies each CV or resume that you send to an employer. It is usually the first contact that you make with an employer and thus it is essential in determining a good first impression on the potential employer. You should devote sufficient time and effort towards writing the cover letter with CV. You can take the help of cover letter templates widely available on net to create one for your cover letter. Your job application letter should complement the CV rather than duplicating it. On the basis of purpose for which the letter is being send, cover letters can be broadly categorized into three types:
- Application Letter: When letter is sent in response to a job vacancy.
- Prospecting Letter: When letter is sent in order to enquire about a possible position.
- Networking Letter: When letter is sent to request information and assistance in job search.
While writing your cover letter it is important that you organize it into three parts:
- Why you are writing? This section describes your intention towards writing the letter. In case of an application letter it is important that you specify the mode through which you came to know about the job like some mutual contact. Also mention the job for which you are applying.
- What you can offer? In this section provide a brief summary of skills, experience and qualifications that demonstrate your suitability towards the job. It describes what you can contribute to the employer as an employee.
- How to follow up? It is the space where you can thank the employer for considering you for the post and provide information on how you will follow up.
Writing a cover letter for your CV is quite a difficult task but with an appropriate learning approach and practice you can soon become a master. It is important that you cover letter interprets your CV in a concise way adding a personal touch to it which helps in customizing the job application letter as per job requirements.
About the Author:
Mike Kelley is an expert CV and cover letter writer with expertise in writing a wide variety of CVs for all types of employment. For more information on Writing a Cover Letter you can visit http://www.cv-service.org