China’s Xiaomi Inc. will contact Indian authorities over reports claiming that the Indian Air Force viewed the company’s popular Android smartphones as a security risk, local media reported Sunday, citing the Press Trust of India.
"We are trying to get to the bottom of this. So far, we have not heard anything from the IAF or any other authorities and have only read media reports. We will reach out to authorities and engage with them to address any concerns that they might have," Hugo Barra, Xiaomi’s vice president for international operations, reportedly told PTI.
The Indian Air Force warned its staff that Xiaomi’s handsets are not safe to use as the phones send user data to computer servers in China, The New Indian Express newspaper reported on Oct. 19, citing an IAF note.
"We don't have a revolutionary product. Like many other messaging services, we also offer messaging, backup, cloud services to our customers. We also have the highest standards of encryption to ensure that users' data is safe," PTI reportedly cited Barra as saying.
Xiaomi is moving data belonging to international customers out of its servers in China onto Amazon Inc.’s servers in the U.S. and Singapore, and where such services are not available, as in India and Brazil, Xiaomi will engage local data center providers, Barra said on Oct. 22 in a post on his Google+ page.