At least 54 people were killed in a suicide car bombing at a military facility in the southern Yemeni city of Aden on Monday, the health ministry said, according to Reuters. The Islamic State group, also known as ISIS, reportedly claimed responsibility for the attack at the training camp used by the pro-government Popular Resistance militia.
Authorities said that at least 60 other people were brought into a nearby hospital run by the medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres in Aden's Mansoura district. A security official told Agence France-Presse that the attacker rammed his vehicle into a gathering of new recruits at the camp.
"Around 60 dead in a martyrdom operation by a fighter from Islamic State targeting a recruitment center in Aden city," Al-Khader Laswar, the director-general of Yemen's health ministry in Aden, told Reuters.
The latest attack comes amid a fresh push to end Yemen's 17-month-old war between Saudi-backed government and rebels. The U.N. and rights groups estimate at least 9,000 people have been killed since fighting escalated in March 2015. The tensions in the region have displaced some 3 million people.
Aden has been at the center of several attacks recently. Last month, the governor of the city survived a car bomb attack targeting his convoy.
In May, a suicide bomber killed at least 40 army recruits and injured 60 others when he rammed a car at recruits at a compound in Aden.