An “unconditional humanitarian pause” has been declared in Yemen, according to the UN, which said that the violence from all parties should stop at midnight Friday.

According to the UN, the ceasefire is going to last until the end of the Islamic month of Ramadan. Air strikes by a Saudi-led coalition have killed more than 3,000 people since March. The air strikes target Houthi rebels with the mission of restoring the government.

UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said Thursday it was necessary for all parties to declare a ceasefire for Friday. “It is imperative and urgent that humanitarian aid can reach all vulnerable people of Yemen unimpeded and through an unconditional humanitarian pause,” Al Arabiya quoted Dujarric as saying. “The Secretary-General looks forward to the commitments of all parties to the conflict in Yemen to an unconditional humanitarian pause to start on Friday, 10 July at 23:59 (GMT + 3) until the end of Ramadan,” Dujarric said.

According to Dujarric, Yemen’s President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi assured UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon that the ceasefire would be honored. The president’s special envoy from Shiite Houthi has also declared support for a ceasefire during Ramadan which is expected to end July 17.

The UN said Tuesday that at least 1,528 civilians had been killed in Saudi-led air strikes. The BBC reported that about 1 million civilians had been displaced and more than 80 per cent of Yemen's 25-million population were in need of humanitarian aid.

According to charities, efforts to reach the people in need are hindered by a lack of fuel in the country. It has also been difficult to provide sufficient medical facilities in hospitals. The UN said that only 13 per cent of the $1.6 billion required for its aid operation has been received.