With all the seriousness as of late, here is a bit of humor. Well maybe not for George Soros, but for the rest of us. It appears Mr. Soros made some promises of an Upper East side NYC apartment (allegedly) that Ms. Ferreyr expected him to deliver on. I assume if this promise was not written as a contract there is no merit to the suit but its entertaining for us small people. The lawsuit is $10M - which in George Soros land is known as $10 (his net worth is estimated to be $14.5B)
- The octogenarian billionaire George Soros has been sued for $10 million by a former Brazilian soap star who said he reneged on promises to give her an expensive apartment on Manhattan's Upper East Side.
- Adriana Ferreyr, 28, said Soros had twice during the five years they dated promised to buy her apartments, but never followed through, according to her complaint filed on Wednesday in the New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan.
- Ferreyr said she and Soros, who turns 81 on Friday and is among the world's most admired investors, had been dating for more than three years when he promised on January 1, 2010, to buy her an apartment worth nearly $2 million two blocks from his home.
- The pair broke up two months later and soon reconciled, but Soros told her as they lay in bed in August 2010 that he had given the apartment to a new girlfriend, the lawsuit said.
Ok I had to stop there and think that guy has nerve. While laying in bed with one woman, he told her about a gift he had given his new girlfriend. Somewhere Roubini is laughing.
Unfortunately the allegations turn nasty (allegedly) from there
- An argument ensued, resulting in Soros slapping Ferreyr on the face and trying to choke her and throwing a lamp that smashed on the floor, cutting Ferreyr's foot and requiring stitches, the lawsuit said.
- Zabel also said police investigated the August 2010 incident and found that no assault occurred.
Uhhh... you'd think after that she wouldn't go back but...
- Nonetheless, the pair rekindled their romance and Soros told Ferreyr while they vacationed in St. Barts that he would give her another apartment, only to renege again, it said.
- Ferreyr is seeking damages for fraud, infliction of emotional distress, assault and battery and other claims. William Zabel, a lawyer for Soros, called the lawsuit frivolous and without merit and said he will seek dismissal.
- Mr. Soros did have an on-again, off-again and nonexclusive relationship with Ms. Ferreyr, Zabel said in a statement. The proposed complaint is riddled with false charges and is obviously an attempt to extract money from my client who is known to be a very wealthy man.