A 10-year-old boy from Pennsylvania had to call 911 after his father and grandmother overdosed on heroin, according to The Beaver County Times. The boy’s father and grandmother have been charged with endangering the welfare of a child by police, said The Associated Press.
According to The Beaver County Times, the boy initially called 911 to report that his father had passed out in the bathroom. Following the first 911 call, the boy’s grandmother was found unresponsive in the bathroom, prompting a second 911 call by the 10-year-old child.
The incident occurred on Friday around 7:39 p.m. EST and police found Chad Steven Kiser, 34, unresponsive and Ginger Fay Foust, 52, awake but unable to properly speak or walk, in the bathroom. Kiser had to be revived by medical personnel. Kiser and Foust lived together in an apartment with the 10-year-old child in New Brighton Area, a borough in Beaver County, Pa.
Kiser and Foust were also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia after police found a pipe, scale and a metal tube used to inhale drugs, reported The Beaver County Times. It was reported by police that the mother and son were using heroin that led to the overdose. According to the child’s account, his father was in the bathroom when he passed out and his grandmother went to the bathroom to help her son before she also passed out, said The Beaver County Times.
The boy, speaking about the overdose to police, said his father and grandmother were trying to help one another recover from their drug problem before the overdose on Friday.
The child is currently in the custody of Beaver County Child and Youth Services.
Charles Poladian joined IBTimes in October 2012 and, when not reporting on all things topical, can be found reading or photographing concerts.