The following books are new or recent releases that should come in handy for kids who are going back to school. Some are about the most exciting and dreadful day of school - the first day - while others are about growing up.
1. Throw Like a Girl: How to Dream Big and Believe in Yourself by Jennie Finch
Finch, a former professional and Olympic softball player, goes into topics such as body image, nutrition, and being feminine and sporty. The book is co-authored with sports writer Ann Killion and is intended for pre-teen and teenage girls. It was released on Monday.
2. Middle School, The Worst Years of My Life by James Patterson
Starting middle school can be stressful, so young Rafe Khatchadorian decides to break every rule in his school's Code of Conduct. Then his mischief catches up with him. This book is for children ages 8 and older and was released in June.
3. Sea Monster's First Day by Kate Messner
Messner's first picture book is for preschoolers and older. It is about Ernest, a sea monster who has his first day of school. The book came out in June and has been praised by the School Library Journal for its artwork and humor.
4. Louise the Big Cheese and the Back-to-School Smarty-Pants by Elise Primavera
Louise wants to get straight As all year, but it's harder than she thinks. This book is for ages 5 and older and came out in July.
5. Eddie Gets Ready For School by David Milgrim
Published in July, this book is for ages 4 and up. It's about a boy named Eddie, and how he gets ready for his first day of school.