Céline Dion made it clear that her family came first when the health of her husband, René Angélil, declined. She took time off from performing in 2013. She echoed that sentiment when she canceled her Las Vegas concerts after Angélil’s death Thursday.
Caesars Palace posted a note about the canceled shows: “With heavy hearts, we regret to inform you that Celine performances Saturday, Jan. 16 and Sunday, Jan. 17 at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace have been canceled.” She will resume her shows Feb. 23, the note added.
In a personal message, Gary Selesner, the president or Caesars Palace, paid tribute to Angélil on Facebook. “It is impossible to overstate the impact René and of course Céline have had on the history of entertainment in Las Vegas and at Caesars Palace, with his audacious vision regarding her residency, now 13 years and counting,” he wrote. “There will never be another René Angélil.”
— Caesars Palace (@CaesarsPalace) January 15, 2016
Even though Angélil, 73, had been sick for years, his death was still a surprise. "We knew what he was up against, but he had good days and bad days," a source told People Magazine. "It was expected, but it wasn't expected. Was he at death's door? No."
Angélil, who discovered Dion when she was 12, was first diagnosed with throat cancer in 1999. In 2013, he was diagnosed with another tumor and had surgery to remove it. It was then that Dion took time off from singing.
Dion, 47, issued an official statement through her rep, but has not commented on the matter personally. "Rene Angelil, 73, passed away this morning as his home in Las Vegas after a long and courageous battle against cancer," the rep said. "The family requests that their privacy be respected at the moment; more details will be provided at a later time."
The three children he had with Dion and three adult children from a previous relationship survive Angélil.
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella