Deriek Crouse, a father of five, was shot and killed at Virginia Tech on Thursday in the school's second deadly shooting since 2007.

Crouse, an Army veteran, was killed at approximately 12:30 p.m -- shortly after a routine traffic stop near Virginia Tech's Coliseum parking lot. Blacksburg police say that the unnamed gunman walked up to Crouse, shot and killed him, and then proceeded to flee on foot.

Today, tragedy again struck Virginia Tech in a wanton act of violence where a police officer was murdered during a routine traffic stop, said Virginia Tech President Charles Steger. Our hearts are broken again for the family of our police officer, and we extend our deepest sympathy and condolences.

Crouse joined the Virginia Tech police department in October 2007 after working as a Montgomery County police officer. He was known for loving his motorcycle and rock music, according to one of his friends.

He was a standup guy, Rusty Zarger, a former neighbor, told the Associated Press. He was very mild-mannered, very confident. You could tell he was strong in believing in himself, but very comfortable.

Crouse joined the Tech police department only months after the tragic shooting that left 32 dead and 25 wounded. He was killed across the street from the dormitory where the first 2007 shooting happened, according to CBS News.

Another person was shot and killed but police believe that the second victim was Crouse's killer. Authorities have refused to release the second individual's name, but signs point to the individual being the primary suspect in the murder. Authorities have been able to link the two shootings to the same gun through ballistics testing.

With that evaluation, we have been able to determine that the male subject found at the other scene deceased, that he has been captured on that in-car video at the scene with the weapon we believe was used, Maj. Rick Jenkins of the Virginia State Police told reporters.

The shooting set off a massive manhunt throughout the Blacksburg area and a school-wide lockdown for all students and school employees. The lockdown lasted until approximately 4:30 p.m. when officials decided to call off the hunt.

The police said the second victim was found approximately a half-mile away from Crouse and that some of the clothing found matched the initial suspect description.

There is no known connection between Thursday's shootings and the ones in 2007, but ironically, Virginia Tech officials were in Washington, D.C. on Thursday to protest a $55,000 fine for acting too slowly in responding to the '07 shootings.