'Ghostbusters 3': Bill Murray Definitely Not Going to Appear, Movie on Hold Says Dan Aykroyd

 @JasonLeMiere
on February 29 2012 1:48 PM

Bill Murray will definitely not be appearing in Ghostbusters 3, according to fellow Ghostbusters alumnus Dan Aykroyd in an interview with the Britain's Telegraph.

He doesn't want to be involved, Aykroyd said of Murray.

He's got six kids, houses all over America. He golfs in these tournaments where they pay him to turn up and have a laugh. He's into this life and living it.

It has long been reported that Murray was the only man standing in the way of a sequel to the hugely successful Ghostbusters movies, released in the 1980s.

Rumors even circulated last month that Murray was so opposed to bringing back the franchise that he sent a shredded script for the proposed sequel back to Aykroyd. Something which the Blues Brothers actor denies.

With Murray unable to be persuaded to come on board, the future of Ghostbusters 3 is currently uncertain.

I honestly don't know, Aykroyd admitted. At this point it's in suspended animation. The studio, the director Ivan Reitman and Harold Ramis feel there must be a way to do it.

Aykroyd also tried to dispel fears that a sequel would be a blemish on the much-loved Ghostbusters series.

We're not going to do a movie that exploits the franchise, he claimed. The script has to be perfect. I'm the cheerleader, but I'm only one voice in the matter. It's a surety that Bill Murray will not do the movie, however there is still interest from the studio.

Despite Bill Murray's outright opposition to the film, Aykroyd said he held no ill-will toward his former co-star.

I know we'd have a lot of fun [but] I can't be mad at him, he said. He's a friend first, a colleague second. We have a deep personal relationship that transcends business and he doesn't want to know.

Share this article