Saturday marks what would have been R&B singer Aaliyah Haughton's 37th birthday. The Brooklyn, New York-born artist, who was more commonly known by just her first name, was killed in a plane crash in the Bahamas in 2001.
Haughton, who was born Jan. 16, 1979, recorded her first album when she was 14. The album, "Age Ain't Nothing But a Number," was produced by R&B artist R. Kelly, whom she was rumored to have married before she was of legal age.
Her second album, "One in a Million," launched her to stardom when it sold 2 million copies. Haughton's last album, "Aaliyah," had just been released, and she was returning from a music video shoot when she was killed in the plane crash that left six passengers dead.
To remember the star, we've compiled some inspiring quotes from the singer:
1. "Keep working hard and you can get anything that you want.”
2. “I know that people think I'm sexy and I am looked at as that. It is cool with me. It's wonderful to have [sex] appeal. If you embrace it, it can be a very beautiful thing.”
3. “There are times in my life when I just want to be by myself.”
4. “All I can do is leave it in God's hands and hope that my fans feel where I'm coming from.”
5. “There are times I can't even figure myself out.”
6. “I'm the interpreter. I'm the one who takes your words and brings them to life. I was trained to sing and dance and laugh, and that's what I want to do.”
7. "You have to love what you do to want to do it every day.”
8. “I stay true to myself and my style, and I am always pushing myself to be aware of that and be original.”
9. "It's really a sad story, and I liked that. The songs on this album talk about relationships in every aspect," in response to her album "Aaliyah."
10. "I began to work the stage and get the audience into it. I also learned how to have fun out there. It is something I will never forget."