If you’re still struggling to get your hands on tickets to see Lin-Manuel Miranda’s "Hamilton," you may soon be out of luck. That is, if you’re hoping to see it with its current cast.
Miranda said in an interview with Rolling Stone published Thursday that he’s not necessarily sold on running the show for longer than a year. Many in the cast signed on for one-year contracts, so there’s nothing stopping them from quitting while they’re ahead. The show held previews last July and opened officially opened in August.
“I don’t know who’s staying and who’s going, ... who tells our story,” he said. “I don’t know that I want to break the news here. But I can tell you that with 'In the Heights,' I did a year. I did a year and got out. And that show was as successful and joyous as anything I’ve ever done. But I still needed time to write, and so I did a year.”
Miranda may be fond of "In the Heights" — and it may have won widespread critical attention and popular success — but "Hamilton" has broken records. Last month, for instance, the show made Broadway history by claiming 16 Tony nominations, where "In the Heights" got 13.
"Hamilton" features a multiracial cast rapping and singing through the history of one of the country's Founding Fathers, Alexander Hamilton. It has been gushed about repeatedly by top celebrities and politicians, including Kerry Washington, Amy Schumer, the first family and even Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. Tickets for "Hamilton" are sold out months in advance.
And the production has brought in tons of cash. That includes more than $61 million through the beginning of April and counting. The show’s revenues come to about $1.5 million in weekly sales. It spends about 40 percent of that on rent, salaries and other expenses. That means the show pockets about $900,000 a week before royalties, according to Business Insider.