Wednesday marks the 53 year anniversary of Marilyn Monroe’s death. The blonde bombshell was found dead in her Los Angeles home on Aug. 5, 1962 at the age of 36. An empty bottle of pills that were prescribed to her to treat depression were found in the room, and police resolved that her death was, “caused by a self-administered overdose of sedative drugs and that the mode of death is probable suicide.”
The voluptuous actress was best known for a slew of successful films in the 1950s and a rumored love affair with President John F. Kennedy. Monroe has remained as a cultural icon in U.S. history, and left behind a number of memorable quotes, posted below, courtesy of Brainyquote and Goodreads.
1. “I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
2. “Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
3. "Fear is stupid. So are regrets."
4. “If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything.”
5. “A wise girl kisses but doesn't love, listens but doesn't believe, and leaves before she is left.”
6. “When it comes down to it, I let them think what they want. If they care enough to bother with what I do, then I'm already better than them.”
7. “Sometimes things fall apart so that better things can fall together.”
8. “If I'd observed all the rules I'd never have got anywhere.”
9. “I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go. Things go wrong so that you appreciate them when their right.”
10. “A girl doesn't need anyone who doesn't need her.”