The death of Nirvana front man Kurt Cobain still manages to generate public interest almost two decades after he took his own life. Seattle police revealed Thursday that they reexamined Cobain's case nearly 20 years after the grunge rocker was found dead in his home near Lake Washington at the age of 27. Police ruled the case a suicide in 1994.

[Click here to see the new images from Cobain’s crime scene, courtesy of the New York Daily News]

Authorities said they developed four rolls of film that had been taken from the scene, reported. The evidence had apparently been sitting in a police vault for years but was brought to the King County Sheriff’s Office photo lab where the 35mm film was processed under high security.

Even though the pictures have a slight green tint to them, which was caused from deterioration, police were able to view the crime scene better now than when with the Polaroid photos that were initially taken by investigators.

“I was requested to look at the case because I’m a cold case detective because it is 20 years later and it’s a high media case,” Detective Mike Ciesynski, who was responsible for having the four rolls of film developed, told “And there were always these conspiracy theorists out there and so I was asked to look at the case and review it.”

Authorities determined Cobain committed suicide just three days after he had left a drug rehab facility. "Kurt went up there for one purpose, which was to commit suicide," Ciesynski said.

Ciesynski alluded to the reason why Cobain probably shot himself in the head while high on heroin and pills. "And I believe he did not want to be found and be revived, so he wanted to make a sure way to kill himself."

After hearing that new photos from the case had been developed, fans began to discuss the possibility that authorities might reopen the case. Some conspiracy theorists believe Cobain’s death was actually a murder set up to look like a suicide. Some suggested his wife, rocker Courtney Love, was actually responsible for his death. But on Thursday, a Seattle police spokesperson revealed to CNN that the case would remain closed.

"Mr. Cobain is still deceased and the case is still a suicide," Detective Renee Witt told the news station. "We did not reopen the case."

Witt added that the new pictures didn’t change anything. She said the photos Ciesynski found were "benign, nothing that was new or anything that would change the outcome of the investigation. It still remains a suicide."

Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella