Art enthusiasts all around the world are celebrating renowned painter Pablo Picasso’s birthday. Picasso, who has been considered one of the greatest and most influential artists of all time, would have been 135 years old on Tuesday.
Born in Spain on Oct. 25, 1881, Picasso spent most of his adult life living and creating art in France. Picasso made nearly 135,000 drawings, paintings, prints, engravings, illustrations and sculptures throughout the course of his career, including his highly-acclaimed Blue Period collection – monochromatic paintings in various shades of blue created between 1901 and 1904 – and the Rose Period collection between 1904 and 1906, which echoed some of artist's happier moments with vibrant hues of orange and pink.
Throughout his lifetime, Picasso received praise and criticism for his work. However, after his death in April 1973, the artist’s fame skyrocketed. Although his broad spectrum of work has been taught by scholars and mimicked by artists, there has yet to be another artist to approach art in such a versatile way nor has any artist been celebrated in the same manner as Picasso.
Honor Picasso’s life and contributions to the arts on his birthday and check out a few quotes and paintings by the legendary artist below:
1. “Art is a lie that makes us realize the truth.”
2. “Every act of creation is first of all an act of destruction."
3. “Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not."
4. “I do not seek. I find. ”
5. “The world today doesn't make sense, so why should I paint pictures that do?”
6. “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.”
7. “It takes a long time to become young.”
8. “Give me a museum and I'll fill it.”
9. “It is your work in life that is the ultimate seduction.”
10. “I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.”