Paula Deen has been fired by the Food Network on Friday and her show has been canceled in the wake of a controversy regarding the chef’s use of racial slur, reports said.
The channel, which has been airing Paula's cookery shows, has also decided not renew her contract. "Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month," the company said in a statement cited by the Huffington Post.
This news comes just hours after Deen, 66, released a video, apologizing to fans and critics for using racist remarks in the past.
"Inappropriate, hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable," Deen said in a video posted on YouTube. "I've made plenty of mistakes along the way but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners - I beg for your forgiveness."
"Your color of your skin, your religion, your sexual preference does not matter to me. I want people to understand that my family and I are not the kind of people that the press is wanting to say we are. The pain has been tremendous that I have caused to myself and to others."
Food Network’s Facebook page was inundated with messages from Deen’s fans voicing their anger at the channel’s decision to drop Deen from the show. A majority wrote that the channel’s decision is unfair, as Deen had already apologized for using racist comments.
Deen got caught in the controversy when she admitted in a discrimination trial that she had used racial slurs and the N-word in the past.
Keerthi Mohan is an IBTimes reporter covering entertainment and human interest stories.