- After MH17, Boeing 777 Still Among Safest Jets
July 24 2014 3:26 PM
Even after two hull losses in a short time, the biggest twinjet in the world remains among the safest commercial airplanes.
- As Ship Comes Up, Captain Gets Down
July 23 2014 12:36 PM
The man accused of causing a disaster that killed 32 people and then jumping ship was spotted at a party, blithely smiling.
- Malaysia Airlines Stirs Controversy By Flying Over Syria
July 21 2014 4:12 PM
The airline said it wasn't violating rules by routing MH4 to London over Syria on Sunday. True, but it was highly dangerous.
- Flying Over Ukraine's War Zone, In The Last Soviet Jet
July 20 2014 5:06 PM
Before the MH17 crash, a flight over Crimea as Russians and Ukrainians fought a war turned into a recreation of the old days of the Soviet Union.
- Not The First Time A Civilian Jet Is Shot Down By Missile
July 17 2014 4:45 PM
Missiles launched from the ground or the air have brought down civilian aircraft several times before, intentionally or by mistake.
- The Missile That May Have Shot Down MH17
July 17 2014 12:23 PM
The Boeing 777 was reportedly flying over Ukraine at 33,000 feet, too high for the now-ubiquitous shoulder-fired portable missiles.
- World Champions Fly Home On Lufthansa Flight 2014
July 14 2014 6:36 PM
When you are the world champion team of the biggest global sport, your national airline sends a 747 to pick you up.
- Classy Germans Tweet Support For Routed Brazil
July 09 2014 12:41 PM
Realizing the magnitude of the defeat they inflicted on Brazil, German players took to Twitter to console their beaten opponents.
- 7-1 Rout Gets Moniker: 'Mineiraço,' Brazil’s Worst Shame
July 08 2014 6:52 PM
The thumping suffered by Brazil was so bad that the press coined a name for it, and the president even got roundly booed.
- Incredulous Brazil Faces German 'Massacre,' Stares Into Abyss
July 08 2014 5:03 PM
The Brazilian team was supposed to exorcise the ghost of the 1950 World Cup defeat. Instead it created a far, far worse one.
- How To Watch The World Cup In The American Heartland
July 01 2014 8:00 AM
Way down South, where football is king, you can’t find world-savvy soccer fans. Or can you?
- After Defeat By Costa Rica, Press Calls 'Unrecognizable' Italy 'A Disaster'
June 20 2014 3:14 PM
In the second game of its 2014 World Cup campaign, Italy morphed from a favorite to a lemon, beaten deservedly by a soccer nobody.
- Spain Reacts To World Cup Shocker: 'Unbelievable Ridicule'
June 18 2014 6:40 PM
When the national soccer team and defending world champion goes home early, it's national drama. Spain found out on Wednesday.
- Italian Politician Insults Defeated English On Twitter
June 15 2014 10:26 AM
The deputy speaker of the Italian Senate is happy his team beat England in the World Cup. So happy that he started a major flame war on Twitter about it.
- Iraq Has Brand New F-16s, But Can't Use Them Against ISIS
June 12 2014 2:58 PM
It will take months before Iraq can employ its new American-made combat jets against the jihadists that now threaten Baghdad.
- Endless Strikes, Poor Pitches And No Water
June 10 2014 3:10 PM
Two days to go before the 2014 World Cup, subway workers may strike again, water is scarce and poor field conditions could injure players.
- US Sends B-2 Bombers To Europe Amid Ukraine Crisis
June 10 2014 12:07 PM
The stealth bombers had never been based in Europe before. Now, they sit just three hours from the Russian border.
- Three Days From World Cup, São Paulo Is In Chaos
June 09 2014 12:04 PM
The world's biggest sporting event begins Thursday, and Brazil's biggest city is a gridlocked mess, with police using tear gas.
- Banned At The World Cup: Tablets And Vuvuzelas
June 04 2014 5:21 PM
The ubiquitous plastic trumpets that turned the 2010 cup into a constant racket will be gone this time, and so will iPads.
- 'Only God Can Fix This'
June 03 2014 10:51 AM
In the world's fifth-largest country, half a million soccer fans will only be able to move by air -- but airports are an unfinished mess.