Articles by Alexander C. Kaufman
- These 5 Companies Are Laying Off 54,620 Workers This Year
October 10 2013 1:24 PM
Collectively, the top five pink-slippers this year are cutting a staggering number of jobs.
- Why The Great White North Has A Great Big Price Gap Vs. The US
October 10 2013 10:55 AM
Canada can blame the loonie and high fuel and labor costs for its roughly 10 percent price gap with the U.S.
- And Yellen Makes Three: Trifecta Of Women Running Global Economy
October 09 2013 2:59 PM
Janet Yellen joins Angela Merkel and Christine Lagarde atop the world's economy.
- Jack Dorsey - Would-Be Facebook Employee, Definite Backstabber: Book
October 09 2013 2:32 PM
An upcoming book about Twitter's founding, linked with its upcoming initial public offering, sheds new light on the social network's inception.
- How Chuck Hagel Plans To Recall Civilian Defense Workers
October 05 2013 7:03 PM
The defense secretary interpreted a law enacted last week to bring back civilian staff.
- US Navy SEAL Team Seizes Somali Al-Shabab Militant
October 05 2013 5:16 PM
U.S. Navy SEALs raided a seaside villa in Somalia in retaliation for the Kenya attack.
- Loeb Wants To Save Sotheby's From Its Antiquated CEO
October 02 2013 1:59 PM
It's worked at Yahoo, but can Daniel Loeb "save" Sotheby's by ousting Chairman and CEO William F. Ruprecht?
- The Man Who Called The Bill Gates Coup
October 02 2013 10:29 AM
Reuters' Robert Cyran wrote a column last week urging Bill Gates to step down. Yesterday, investors heeded his call.
- Caterpillar Price Hikes Won't Affect Everyone, Analyst Says
October 01 2013 3:21 PM
Caterpillar is upping its prices in Europe, Japan and the U.S. but probably not in Latin America and Asia.
- Should Apple Buy $150B Of Its Shares At Carl Icahn's Behest?
October 01 2013 11:06 AM
The activist investor tweeted that he pushed CEO Tim Cook on the massive buyback program at dinner last night.
- For Merck, Lost Patents Mean Lost Jobs
October 01 2013 10:17 AM
Merck's latest layoffs are coming from both marketing and research and development.
- How Al Qaeda Wants To Use Shutdown Against The US
September 28 2013 3:40 PM
Fareed Zakaria talks about al Qaeda’s perception of U.S. weakness as the government shutdown looms.
- House Republicans' Price: Delay In Obamacare
September 28 2013 3:11 PM
Will the U.S. Senate accept the House Republicans’ bill to delay Obamacare?
- Will House Republicans Shut Down The Government? [UPDATED]
September 28 2013 1:05 PM
The House GOP met on a Saturday to discuss their plan to hash out terms for a bill to avoid a government shutdown.
- JC Penney Share Price Up And Down In Wake Of Stock Offering
September 28 2013 10:46 AM
The department store bucked previous reports and offered 84 million shares of common stock. What’s next?
- How The Container Giant Maersk Aims To Survive The Euro-Zone Crisis
September 27 2013 11:51 AM
Maersk has struck a deal with its rivals in an unusual cost-cutting deal.
- Why Wal-Mart Should Debate Its Detractors On Facebook
September 26 2013 5:40 PM
As holiday hiring season nears, Wal-Mart would be wise to distract potential employees from negative stories about reported low wages.
- Why These 25 Retailers Are Dominating On Facebook
September 26 2013 12:37 PM
Wal-Mart Stores has a hefty Facebook presence -- but it remains unclear if that translates to its bottom line.
- JC Penney Ignores Critical Goldman Note, Says It's Fine
September 26 2013 10:03 AM
After Goldman Sachs issued a note encouraging investors to bet on J.C. Penney's demise, the retailer said it was recovering.
- JPMorgan May Pay $11B To Settle Probes
September 25 2013 4:08 PM
However, talks between the bank and state and federal officials could fall apart over the next week.