Articles by Avedis Hadjian
- Welcome to the Embassy of Satan!
March 04 2014 5:20 PM
The former U.S. embassy in Tehran is a bizarre, must-see tourist site and a focal point for enduring anti-American sentiment.
- How Ukraine's Oligarchs Profited From The Regime
February 26 2014 5:26 PM
Ukraine's fabulously wealthy business owners are lying low, generally not siding with pro-Euro or pro-Russian factions in the ongoing uprising.
- Kurdistan: A Nation Waiting To Happen
January 10 2014 1:46 PM
The "nation within five nations" long quest for autonomy may find support in Iraq's oil and Turkey's desire to join the EU.
- Meet The Last Two Speakers Of An Obscure Mexican Language Who Won't Talk To Each Other
December 13 2013 2:58 PM
They are fluent in Ayapaneco but they're not on speaking terms. Each essentially has a dying language to himself.
- The Potemkin Revolution Of Subcomandante Marcos
November 15 2013 10:44 AM
The Subcomandante Marcos-led movement has given up trying to change the world. Instead, it wants to change things one village at a time.
- The Muslims Of Mexico In The Shadow Of Zapatistas
September 20 2013 3:00 PM
The Mexican state of Chiapas is an island of Islam in a country characterized by Catholicism, which has led to the creation of a hybrid culture.
- 'Without Our Land We Are Not A People': Chile's 500-Year War
April 06 2013 8:54 AM
Chile is a stable democracy and an economic success story. The indigenous Mapuche people are tired of seeing this wealth from the outside.