- Amazon Outbids Google For .Buy Top-Level Domain
September 18 2014 11:32 AM
Amazon's $4.6 million bid was enough to win an ICANN auction.
- Apple Enables 'Kill Switch' For New Mobile Devices
September 18 2014 9:21 AM
Regulators have long called for such a move, complaining that cell phone companies have done too little to discourage theft.
- Drones Create 3-D Models Of Ancient Mayan Temples
September 17 2014 5:16 PM
Quadcopters and LIDAR technology are revolutionizing archaeology.
- Peter Thiel Says Apple Needs 'Breakthrough' Product
September 17 2014 11:09 AM
Thiel, a respected voice in Silicon Valley, thinks Apple needs to do better than the Apple Watch and Apple Pay.
- Classified Satellite Launches Under Cloudy Skies
September 17 2014 9:33 AM
Observers have speculated that the CLIO satellite's secret mission has to do with communication.
- Facebook Triumphs In Energized Scottish Debate
September 16 2014 3:59 PM
Facebook has tallied more than 10 million "interactions" as Scots prepare to vote on independence.
- FBI Beefs Up Facial Recognition, Biological Identification
September 16 2014 3:42 PM
A database of criminal and civilian images makes up the next phase of the FBI's Next Generation ID system.
- US Surveillance Requests Jumped 250% Since 2009: Google
September 16 2014 10:53 AM
Egypt, Indonesia and several other countries demanded Google user information for the first time in 2014.
- Nasdaq's Facebook Flub Pushed Alibaba To NYSE
September 16 2014 8:56 AM
Alibaba, which unveils its IPO this week, didn't trust Nasdaq enough to list on that exchange.
- Ad Block Software Used By 144M Monthly Users, Report Finds
September 15 2014 4:52 PM
Use of ad blocking software has exploded among people of all ages, sexes and throughout the world.
- Comcast Denies Threatening Anonymous Web Users
September 15 2014 2:11 PM
"Our customers can use the Internet for anything they want," a Comcast spokesman said.
- For This British Newspaper, The 'Right To Be Forgotten' Is Censorship
September 15 2014 9:22 AM
A British artist presumably pushed to have the Worcester News remove an article showing one of his older paintings.
- Facebook Forces Drag Queens To Use Real Names, Creating Controversy
September 12 2014 3:38 PM
Cross-dressing performers are asking Facebook not to discriminate, but the real issue is money.
- California Shuts Down Uber Carpool Service -- For Now
September 12 2014 10:53 AM
Uber has struggled to overcome arcane legal statutes through its five-year history.
- Most Apps Fail To Protect User Privacy, Report Finds
September 12 2014 9:02 AM
Privacy regulators examining 1,211 apps found that many don't explain why they gather so much personal information.
- How To Discover If Your Gmail Was Among The 5 Million Hacked
September 11 2014 6:41 PM
Google said the hack involving nearly 5 million accounts wasn't the company's fault.
- NSA To Yahoo: Comply Or Turn Over $250K Every Day
September 11 2014 6:34 PM
Yahoo was ultimately forced to become one of the first companies ensnared in PRISM, the controversial surveillance program.
- YouTube U.S. Video Ad Revenue To Grow Nearly 40% In 2014
September 11 2014 11:13 AM
Advertisers like YouTube's growing stable of homegrown stars.
- Google Breaks Silence On Net Neutrality
September 11 2014 10:44 AM
Net neutrality advocates nervous about Google's silence can relax.
- Google X Takes On Parkinson's Disease
September 10 2014 8:26 PM
The Liftware spoon is equipped with sensors that detect and minimize tremors for hungry Parkinson's patients.