Articles by Mike Obel
- Analysis: Ukraine's Finances Are Hanging By A Thread
February 26 2014 3:29 PM
For the Kremlin, it's a question of what's worse: a failed state on its doorstep or a going concern that's independent of Moscow.
- Frontier Market Currencies 'Significantly Overvalued' [CHART]
February 25 2014 7:25 AM
And you'll never guess where the biggest overvaluation exists, which ran current account deficits of 12 percent to 40 percent of GDP.
- The US Government Owns A Lot Of Buildings
February 24 2014 12:12 PM
What's more, the federal government says that about 77,000 are unneeded or underused.
- How Slow Are Italy's Courts?
February 13 2014 2:02 PM
Amanda Knox isn't the only one who has run into serious trouble with Italy's legal system.
- Congressional Black Caucus Says 'No' To More Ethanol
January 30 2014 6:55 PM
One of the country's most powerful civil rights groups joins opponents of Washington's long-time policy mandating ethanol use by motorists.
- Commodity Sector Outlook Got You Down? Consider This Metal
January 29 2014 12:31 PM
Quick: Name one commodity enjoying rising demand, flattening production and tightening inventories?
- Time To Cry For Argentina? Peso Plunges
January 23 2014 2:27 PM
The peso fell hard Thursday, in its steepest loss in more than 10 years. Will the free fall continue?
- Hedge Fund Guru's Advice For Dow Chemical
January 21 2014 9:43 AM
Wall Street is rejecting the rationale for vertical integration in light of Dow Chemical's falling feedstock costs.
- This Is How Rich The Top 85 People Are Compared To The World
January 20 2014 1:01 PM
What's more, the global wealth disparity is probably greater than you think.
- Best Buy: Brace For Impact
January 16 2014 7:56 AM
The struggling electronics retailer cut its fourth-quarter earnings forecast, due to price pressure, among other factors.
- JPMorgan Q4: Madoff Hurts
January 14 2014 7:36 AM
Despite a decline in earnings, the big bank beat Wall Street's expectations.
- Ariel Sharon, Former Israeli Prime Minister, Dead at 85
January 11 2014 8:54 AM
He was Israel's last surviving leader from the generation that founded the Jewish state in 1948.
- Psst ... Looking For Hot Stocks? Think Spain
January 07 2014 8:14 AM
Investors are pouring into Spanish stocks as the nation's economy appears to be finally turning a corner.
- From The Ground Up: Four Reasons (Some) Analysts Are Wrong About Cotton Prices
December 24 2013 12:10 PM
It's too early to be depressed -- or delighted if you're an apparel maker -- about a possible drop in the price of cotton.
- Where Are The Highest-Income Counties In The US?
December 18 2013 8:43 AM
Do the New York and Los Angeles metro areas dominate this list? The answer may surprise you.
- US Judge: Detroit's Broke
December 03 2013 11:37 AM
A federal judge's ruling makes it all but certain that pensions for currently retired city workers will be cut.
- From The Ground Up: Another Good Week For GMO
December 02 2013 2:38 PM
It's getting harder and harder to make a believable case against genetically modified crops.
- Diesel Demand Down; US Economy Slowing?
November 21 2013 3:01 PM
API's chief economist raised a small warning flag about the possibility that the nation's economy may be slowing.
- From The Ground Up: Agribusiness Stung By EPA Ethanol Decision
November 20 2013 2:15 PM
With overwhelming empirical evidence against forced ethanol use, the EPA had to trim a corporate welfare item.
- From The Ground Up: Oil Is At A Four-Month Low With More Price Weakness To Come
November 13 2013 11:51 AM
Today's cheap gasoline prices aren't a fluke. The pump price is down for all sorts of reasons, many of which aren't going away anytime soon.