Stanford University released a statement on Brock Turner Monday, the same day his mug shot was “leaked” to the press. A former athlete and student at Stanford, Turner was accused of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman behind a dumpster last year. He was found guilty in April and sentenced to six months in jail with probation Thursday.

Stanford said Turner was banned from its campus and thanked its students for participating in the investigation. “Stanford urges its students to do the right thing and intervene, and we are proud of our students for stopping this incident. Many other student witnesses cooperated in the investigation,” the university said in the statement. It added:

“Once Stanford learned the identity of the young woman involved, the university reached out confidentially to offer her support and to tell her the steps we were taking. In less than two weeks after the incident, Stanford had conducted an investigation and banned Turner from setting foot on campus — as a student or otherwise. This is the harshest sanction that a university can impose on a student.”

The full statement can be read here.

Turner, 20, was convicted of assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated woman, sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object and sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object Thursday. He faced as long as 14 years in prison, but was given six months behind bars because Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky said he believed a longer sentence would have “a severe impact on him,” according to multiple media outlets.

Previously, some media organizations were criticized for using Turner’s yearbook photograph, which arguably showed him in a sympathetic light. In its caption, he was described as an “All-American swimmer.” Monday, the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office finally released Turner’s mug shot. However, it said Stanford’s Department of Public Safety released it, Jezebel reported. Either way, Turner’s mug shot made it to the internet.

“The sheriff’s office will release booking photos of arrests made by the sheriff’s office that do not jeopardize the successful investigation and prosecution of the individual,” the sheriff’s office told the Washington Post. “Booking photos of people arrested by other law enforcement agencies will not be released.”

Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella