Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim has topped the list for two years in a row and other prominent names, including USA's Bill Gates and India's Mukesh Ambani, make consistent appearance on the chart.
Christy Walton, who inherited wealth after the death of her husband, John Walton, who was the son of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton, is the only woman on the top ten richest people list for 2011.
Check out here the top ten richest people in the world in 2011.
1. Carlos Slim Helu & family, Founder, Fundacion Carlos Slim - Net Worth $74 B
Carlos Slim, Mexican tycoon and founder of Fundacion Carlos Slim, attends a discussion regarding megacities at the Clinton Global Initiative in New York, September 20, 2011. REUTERS/Allison Joyce
2. Bill Gates, Founder, Microsoft - Net Worth $59 B
Billionaire philanthropist Bill Gates attends a news conference at the Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation (GAVI) conference in London June 13, 2011. REUTERS/Paul Hackett
3. Warren Buffett, CEO, Berkshire Hathaway - Net Worth $39 B
CEO of Berkshire Hathaway Warren Buffett arrives at the premiere of Too Big to Fail in New York City May 16, 2011. REUTERS/Jessica Rinaldi
4. Bernard Arnault, Chairman, Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy (LVMH) - Net Worth $41 B
LVMH Chief Executive Bernard Arnault arrives for a news conference to present the group's 2010 results in Paris February 4, 2011. REUTERS/Gonzalo Fuentes
5. Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle - Net Worth $33 B
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison addresses the audience during his keynote address at Oracle Open World in San Francisco, California September 22, 2010. REUTERS/Robert Galbraith
6. Lakshmi Mittal, Chairman, ArcelorMittal ADS - Net Worth $31.1 B
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Lakshmi Mittal answers a question as he presents Year 2009 results of Arcelor Mittal steel group during a news conference in Luxembourg February 10, 2010. REUTERS/Thierry Roge
7. Amancio Ortega, Chairman, Inditex - Net Worth $31 B
Amancio Ortega, chairman of Spanish global fashion group Inditex, laughs during a visit of Spain's Princess Letizia and Crown Prince Felipe to his factory in Coruna, northern Spain December 2, 2008. REUTERS/Miguel Vidal
8. Eike Batista, CEO, EBX Group - Net Worth $30 B
Eike Batista, Chairman and CEO, EBX Group gestures during the panel discussion 'Global Overview: Uncertainty Is the Only Certainty' at the 2011 The Milken Institute Global Conference in Beverly Hills, California May 2, 2011. REUTERS/Fred Prouser
9. Mukesh Ambani, Chairman, Reliance Industries - Net Worth $27 B
Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries Limited, poses for photographers before addressing the annual shareholders meeting in Mumbai June 3, 2011. REUTERS/Danish Siddiqui
10. Christy Walton & family, Wal-Mart - Net Worth $24.5 B is the only woman in the top ten list of world's richest people.