It’s April 15. And unless you’re a notorious procrastinator, you’ve probably already filed your income taxes. If you’re expecting money back, there are several ways to check on the status of your refund, which can take as long as four weeks for the IRS to process. Here’s how to make sure you get your money back as quickly as possible.
1. Visit the IRS website. If you submitted your taxes electronically, you can get refund information up to 72 hours following the receipt of your return. If you mailed your taxes, refund information will be available within three to four weeks, though some will receive their refunds back much sooner.
2. Have your Social Security number ready, along with your filing status (single, married, filing joint return, etc.) and the exact whole dollar refund amount shown on the tax return you filed.
3. Use the site’s online tool to enter your personal data, which will let you know if your return was received and the mailing date or direct deposit date of your refund. Make sure your address is correct. Many people lose their returns due to mailing address errors. You can also make sure all of your personal information, such as your marriage status, Social Security number and phone number, is up to date.
4. Ensure that there are no problems with your refund. If you haven’t received it within 28 days from the original IRS mailing date, you may be able to begin a refund trace.
5. Download an app and check on your taxes. The IRS created the smartphone app IRS2Go. The app is available for Android and iOS users and allows citizens to check the status of their refunds.