- Houston businesswoman Sandy Phan-Gillis has been detained in China since March last year.
- The massive star, located 12,000 light-years from Earth, simultaneously exhibits traits that have only ever been observed in extremely old stars, and some that are only associated with protostars.
- The location and orbits of several newly-discovered trans-Neptunian objects make the existence of a ninth “Planet X” all the more likely, a new study says.
- The country allotted a defense budget of more than $36 billion for 2017 to build a homegrown anti-missile system to deal with growing North Korean threats.
- A U.N. official told a news conference in capital Sanaa that the new figure was based on official information from medical facilities in Yemen.
- A new study states that the discrepancy between our galaxy’s observed and real mass can be explained by events that took place 6 million years ago.
- While heart disease remains one of the leading causes of death worldwide, the number of drugs in development to combat the illness has reduced in the last 20 years, a study found.
- Dogs can distinguish between words and the intonation of human speech by using brain regions similar to those used by humans, a new study suggests.
- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker began two days of talks with the Indian government Tuesday.
- China called a car bomb blast on its embassy in Kyrgyzstan, which wounded three embassy staff, an “extreme and violent attack.”
- Researchers studied the skeleton of the famous hominin, who lived 3.18 million years ago, and suggest she died from the “impact following a fall from considerable height.”
- According to a new study, more than half of the groundwater in the region now has excessive amounts of arsenic and salinity, making it unfit for consumption or irrigation.
- The two officials were executed in early August for disobeying leader Kim Jong Un, a South Korean newspaper reported.
- The military exercise has begun in the southwestern Astrakhan region, involving 4,000 troops and 1,500 pieces of military equipment.
- Researchers from the University of Texas Medical Branch concluded that the usage of larvicide is crucial in efforts to curb the spread of the mosquito-borne disease.
- President Xi Jinping has embarked on an unprecedented drive to censor media that do not reflect the views of Communist Party leaders.
- The signal was detected using a radio telescope in Russia last year and came from a star system about 95 light-years away.
- A 62-year-old man was arrested after filling lubricant dispensers with hydrocholoric acid at a gay club in Australia.
- The school's code of conduct references how its students' hair should appear and does not specifically ban certain natural hairstyles.
- The Anthropocene is a new geological epoch defined by human-kind’s effects on the Earth.
- Two earthquakes hit Iceland Monday, putting scientists on alert for a possible eruption.
- Putin is sending a warning to elites to remain loyal, observers claim.