- According to a paper published in the journal Methods in Ecology and Evolution, the “residual diversity” method — used to correct for sampling biases in fossil records — is deeply flawed.
- Paul Beatty’s “The Sellout” tells the story of a young black man who wants to assert his African-American identity by bringing back slavery and segregation.
- Both the men are reportedly brothers, originally from Michigan, who claim to have recently converted to Islam.
- The ESA’s ExoMars Schiaparelli lander was supposed to have made a soft landing on the surface of the red planet last week.
- Pyongyang railed against the U.N.'s call for more sanctions in the wake of September's nuclear test.
- German intelligence officials say members of the Reichburger movement aren't tied to one ideology but are prone to conspiracies, and are anti-Semitic and anti-democratic.
- Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari has asked parliament to approve plans to borrow $30 billion to fund infrastructure plans through 2018.
- Forget trick or treating. Travel this Halloween to some of the spookiest places on the planet.
- What would become the modern day Islamic State was founded in the chaos of post-Saddam Hussein Iraq.
- An organization in Spain provides victims of domestic violence with protection dogs.
- The raids marked the latest attempt by a European country to counter threats made against targets in the West by global terror group Islamic State.
- Saudi Arabian citizens extolled their monarchy's recent likely beheading of a crown prince, citing it as an example of equal and just application of Sharia law.
- Día De Los Muertos starts on Nov. 1.
- With a new runway planned for Europe's busiest airport, London could see an even bigger increase in tourism.
- A Pentagon spokesperson called a Russian general's claim dubious.
- As prices continue to rise and supplies dwindle in light of the Paris climate agreement, coal exporter North Korea stands to thrive despite U.N. sanctions.
- Thieves stole chalices and money from a donation box inside of the church.
- The Bahá’í International Community said President Rouhani has failed to end religious discrimination in Iran.
- Scientists conducted an experimental treatment on monkeys combining old techniques and new with promising results.
- The U.K. risks restricted access to the EU's exclusive single market, David Prior said.
- Scientists are learning more about what killed off the dinosaurs by studying a crater on the moon.
- The deployment marks the first time a foreign military will be on the ground in Norway since World War II.