A sexual abuse lawsuit against “X-Men” director Bryan Singer was dropped by accuser Michael Egan on Wednesday. A federal judge reportedly dismissed the case without prejudice, allowing the accuser to re-file it at a later date.
According to the lawsuit, which was filed in federal court in Hawaii, the plaintiff accused the 48-year-old director of sexually molesting him at a house in Encino, a neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley region of California, when Egan was 17. According to reports, Egan had previously said that he wanted to dismiss the lawsuit because he could not find a new lawyer to represent him, after his former attorneys were removed from the case due to a strained relationship with the former teenage actor.
"We're pleased that it's over," Singer's attorney Marty Singer reportedly said, adding: "Although we would have liked the case dismissed on merits, the fact that now it's dropped... is satisfactory."
U.S. District Judge Susan Oki Mollway also reportedly denied Singer’s demand that Egan pay his legal costs.
"Any alleged damage to defendant's reputation may well be ameliorated by plaintiff's voluntary dismissal of the action," Mollway’s order said, according to Channel 24.
Continue Reading Below
Singer’s attorney had previously said: “The claims made against Bryan Singer are completely without merit."
"We are very confident that Bryan will be vindicated in this absurd and defamatory lawsuit,” Singer's attorney had said when the sexual abuse lawsuit was filed.
Egan had previously filed similar lawsuits against former Disney executive David Neuman, NBC television executive Garth Ancier and entertainment-company executive Gary Goddard, all of which were later dismissed.