Wreckage hunter Blaine Gibson, who claimed to have found almost 20 pieces of debris from missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, launched a search along the south coast of Western Australia on Tuesday.

“Professor Pattiaratchi tells me that the current that swept the debris from MH370's probable crash location could bring it back towards the southern coast of Australia because it merges with the southern Indian Ocean current near South Africa,” Gibson said according to the daily the West Australian, referring to Charitha Pattiaratchi, a professor at the University of Western Australia.

“So, I urge everyone on holidays this Christmas to keep an eye out for debris,” he was quoted as saying.

Flight MH370  went missing March 8, 2014, with 239 people onboard while on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. There is still no clarity as to what might have happened to the plane despite a multimillion-dollar search that spanned over three years.

The renowned debris hunter had claimed earlier he had found almost 20 pieces of debris and belongings of passengers on the western side of the Indian Ocean. Meanwhile, it was reported that Gibson feared for his life after receiving death threats amid his plans to handover possible plane debris to the Honorary Malaysian consul in Madagascar, Zahid Raza. He was assassinated Aug. 24, before the debris could be sent to him.

"For the protection of those involved we decided not to make this report public until the debris was safely delivered to Malaysia,” Gibson said. Under the agreement between the two countries, debris is supposed to be collected by Zahid Raza and delivered by private courier to Malaysia.

Earlier in November, reports said the release date of the final investigation report into the disappearance of MH370 depended on the negotiation between the Malaysian government and the seabed exploration company, Ocean Infinity. The possibility of commencement of a new search mission with Ocean Infinity was also raised.

Malaysia’s Department of Civil Aviation confirmed at the time that it had received “several proposals from a number of interested parties” to restart the search after it was called off in January.

“These offers have been thoroughly assessed by the response team. The governments of Australia and China and have been informed this development in line with the spirit of tripartite cooperation,” the Malaysian government sources said. “In this regard, the Government of Malaysia has given the permission for the response team to proceed negotiating the terms and conditions with Ocean Infinity,” they added.

Australian Transport Minister Darren Chester was quoted as saying, "Australia would provide technical assistance to the Malaysian government and Ocean Infinity at Malaysia’s request. The country has developed considerable experience given its role in the search to date, and stands ready to support the extended search if it goes ahead.”

"While I am hopeful of a successful search, I'm conscious of not raising hopes for the loved ones of those on board," he further said.