Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots star-turned-convicted murderer, died Wednesday at the age of 27 in an apparent suicide case. Massachusetts' Department of Correction said in a statement that Hernandez was found hanging to his cell window, using a bedsheet.
"Lifesaving techniques were attempted on Mr. Hernandez, and he was transported to UMass Leominster, where he was pronounced dead at 4:07 a.m.," the correction department's statement reads. "Mr. Hernandez also attempted to block his door from the inside by jamming the door with various items."
Here are some quick facts about Hernandez:
1. Aaron Hernandez attended the University of Florida from 2007 to 2009.
2. He played college football at his college, where he was a member of a BCS National Championship team.
3. Hernandez was very close to his father Dennis Hernandez, who was a high school custodian.
4. He was the youngest player in the NFL when the 2010 season began.
5. Hernandez has a daughter with Shayanna Jenkins, whom he started dating in 2007.
6. Hernandez faced multiple failed drug tests allegations, and in 2010 he admitted to one failed drug test while playing for Florida.
7. Hernandez received a $40 million contract from the New England Patriots months after he was charged with the murder of Odin L. Lloyd in 2013.
8. In 2014, Hernandez was involved in an "altercation with another inmate."
9. In May 2014, Hernandez found himself facing new charges related to a 2012 drive-by shooting, for which he was acquitted in April 2017.
10. Before his death in April, Hernandez never showed any signs of suicide.