While the cause of Amy Winehouse's death is yet to be explained, the British singer is known for having long battled with alcohol and drug addiction.
Overall, Borderline Personality Disorder could have undermined her life that was tragically shortened to 27 years.
Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London flat on Saturday. Police have not identified the cause of her death, but Winehouse publically battled with drugs and alcohol, and police reports indicate she fought her final battle.
Police were called by London Ambulance Service shortly before 4.05pm (GMT) following reports of a woman found deceased. Officers found a 27-year-old female who was pronounced dead at the scene, a spokesman for Scotland Yard said. This looks like she has died after a drink and drugs binge.
Bon Dobbs, a husband and father of Borderline Personality Disorder holders, suggested on his website that Amy Winehouse was possibly among the celebrities with the disorder.
According to National Education Alliance for Borderline Personality Disorder, Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a serious psychiatric illness. The diagnosis encompasses patients with a pervasive pattern of affective instability, severe difficulties in interpersonal relationships, problems with behavioral or impulse control (including suicidal behaviors), and disrupted cognitive processes. This instability often disrupts family and work life, long-term planning, and the individual's sense of self-identity. The estimated prevalence of BPD in the general adult population is about 2%, mostly affecting young women.
Dobbs lists the following symptoms of Winehouse as the traits of BPD:
- Substance Abuse
- Volatile relationships
- Sexual Confusion
- Eating Disorder
- Implusive Behavior
A comment posted on an IBTimes article stated, Amy suffered from a classic case of Borderline Personality Disorder. BillyB in his comment further noted Winehouse's symptoms as:
- Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment
- A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation
- Identity disturbance, such as a significant and persistent unstable self-image or sense of self
- Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)
- Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior
- Emotional instability due to significant reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
- Chronic feelings of emptiness
- Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)
- Transient, stress-related paranoid thoughts or severe dissociative symptoms
The Grammy-winning Rehab singer's problems with substance abuse were well-documented.
Winehouse had earlier cancelled a European tour following a disastrous performance in June, when she stumbled all over a stage in Belgrade The concert was so bad, it triggered a viral-video outpouring.
Her spokesman released a statement shortly afterward, saying the singer would be sidelined until she recovered.
Everyone involved wishes to do everything they can to help her return to her best, and she will be given as long as it takes to make this happen, the statement read.
Family members had long warned that Winehouse's lifestyle, which saw her in and out of rehab and blighted her career as a live and recording artist, could be her downfall, reports Reuters.
Amy Winehouse admitted that she was a manic depressive addicted to self-inflicted pain.
According to a source from The People, Amy seemed determined to have a big one on Friday night. She was out in Camden on Friday evening, but seemed determined to carry on the party back at her flat.
Sunday Mirrow reported that Winehouse's friends believe she died from an ecstasy overdose mixed with alcohol. She could do cocaine until the cows come home. But this was obviously a dodgy pill.