At least one person appears to have been killed and several others wounded in a shooting at an apartment complex in Alabama that houses several members of Auburn University's football team, according to local reports.

There were conflicting reports about the number of dead, the New York Daily News noted.

Local television station WSFA reported that one person had been killed, while WTVM television in Columbus, Ga., said three people died and two were in the hospital.

Auburn Police Chief Tommy Dawson told the Opelika-Auburn News that police were called Saturday night. He did not say who was shot or discuss their conditions, the Associated Press reported. A press conference was scheduled for 11 a.m. Central Time.

But the university newspaper, The Auburn Plainsman, citing social media postings, reported that two former Auburn football players, Ed Christian and Ladarious Phillips, and current Auburn football player Eric Mack were shot.

Social media notifications claim Christian and Phillips died, but Auburn police have neither confirmed or denied this information., a newspaper site including the Birmingham News, confirmed the names of the dead.

According to Mack's twitter account, Mack said I appreciate all the love and prayers for me and two lost homies. May god be with their families.

Turquorius Vines, 23, told the AP he was at the pool party Saturday evening at the University Heights apartments with a friend. He said he and his friend were approached by two other men who started arguing with them over a woman.

Vines said he punched one of the men, while his friend hit both of the men over the head with a bottle. Either one or both of the two men then started shooting, he said. He said his friend was shot and killed, while two others also were hit by gunfire. Vines said he had never before seen the attackers.

It was about a female, Vines told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Sunday morning. It started from a female. We were trying to get away from the trouble and it ended up right in our face.

The party went from us chilling with all these females to a massacre for no reason at all, Vines said. It happened so quick, in about a second.

At daybreak Sunday, five uniformed officers guarded the area, which was sealed off with crime scene tape, and a handful of crime scene investigators were at work.