Miguel Cotto is set to put his middleweight title on the line against Daniel Geale this Saturday, but things will get even more interesting for the champ when the fight is over. Cotto is a heavy favorite against Geale, and a win this week could set up future matches with both Canelo Alvarez and Gennady “GGG” Golovkin.

Cotto and Alvarez were not able to come to an agreement for a fight in the first half of 2015, but a bout towards the end of the year is looking more and more likely. There have reportedly been talks to make the fight happen, assuming Cotto can get by his next opponent.

“I wouldn’t be able to tell you. From what I understand is that the talks are very advanced,” Cotto told FightHype.com when asked if HBO wants him to fight Alvarez. “The focus right now is on Daniel Geale on June 6. Canelo I understand looked very good in his fight with Kirkland. After this fight, after a good rest and spending time with my family we can talk about Canelo. We can talk about anybody and the better benefit for my career.”

Alvarez suffered his first ever loss to Floyd Mayweather in September 2013, but he’s won his three fights since then. After knocking out Alfredo Angulo in the 10th round and winning a split decision over Erislandy Lara, Alvarez picked up a third-round knockout over James Kirkland last month. Alvarez vs. Kirkland was action-packed, and a bout for the Mexican boxer against Cotto could sell a lot of pay-per-views.

While Cotto holds the WBC championship and has fought some of the biggest names in the sport, Golovkin has emerged as the most dominant middleweight in boxing. He’s still looking for his first bout against a top contender, and he might soon get his chance.

Cotto has been able to avoid a bout with Golovkin, who holds the WBA and IBO middleweight titles. WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman has said that Cotto must face Golovkin if he remains the champ following a fight with Alvarez, though Cotto has indicated he won’t be forced to fight anyone.

“If the WBC is the one to determine who they think I should face then I’ll simply save myself the 3 percent and just fight and do what I want,” Cotto said. “I will do what I have to do to benefit my career and my family.”

Forfeiting the title and saving himself the three percent sanctioning fee he’s forced to give the WBC to choose his opponent could be an option for Cotto. But by the time Cotto ends up facing Alvarez, and possibly winning, a fight with Golovkin could be something that makes sense for the middleweight champ.

Golovkin has won all 33 of his fights, including 20 consecutive by KO or TKO. He doesn’t have the following that would offer Cotto a big enough payday for the Puerto Rican to risk a loss, but that could change by 2016. Golovkin’s win over Willie Monroe Jr. a few weeks ago drew strong ratings for HBO, and GGG could have a high-profile fight as he awaits the winner of Cotto vs. Alvarez.

Promoter Eddie Hearn has acknowledged that there have been talks between the camps of Golovkin and Carl Froch. The British super middleweight last fought a year ago when 80,000 people paid to see him knock out George Groves at Wembley Stadium.

"I've seen reports regarding a potential fight with Carl and GGG. It's a huge fight and we are certainly talking," Hearn told Sky Sports.

Cotto still has to defeat Geale in order for a fight with Alvarez to be on the table, but Golovkin has already done so with ease. GGG faced Geale on July 26 of last year, knocking him out in the third round.