Juan Manuel Marquez is looking to get back in the ring, and he has his eyes on one of the sport's biggest names of the past decade. The boxer says he is considering a fight with Miguel Cotto in 2016.

Marquez hasn’t fought since May 17, 2014 when he defeated Mike Alvarado. Since then, knee injuries have kept him out of action, leading to speculation that he might retire. But the 42-year-old is looking to have two bouts this year before officially hanging up his gloves.

“I talked to Cotto’s people and told them about my situation and what I want,” Marquez said at a media conference with WBC. “It appears that Cotto wants to fight in June and I want to fight in May because two years of inactivity is a very important factor. I have to get on pace with a fight in May and then why not consider a fight with Cotto in September or October?”

Cotto last fought in November when he lost his middleweight championship to Canelo Alvarez. He had previously won three fights in a row, getting his last win over Daniel Geale in June.

Cotto never defended his middleweight title at 160 pounds, but he would have to drop down at least one weight class for a fight against Marquez. According to ESPN.com, Marquez and Cotto could fight at a catch weight of 150 pounds, or even at the welterweight limit of 147 pounds. In his three middleweight title fights, Cotto weighed in between 153.5 and 155 pounds.

Marquez’s last three fights were at welterweight, including his sixth-round knockout of Manny Pacquiao in Dec. 2012. Ten months later, he lost to Timothy Bradley in a split decision, failing to win the WBO welterweight title.

The fight would draw plenty of interest, beginning another chapter in the historic Mexico-Puerto Rico boxing rivalry. Marquez hasn’t made an official decision regarding what he wants to do in 2016, but he’s made it clear that one must be made soon.

"We're watching and waiting, the doctor [Miguel Angel Mancera] is interested and it's important," Marquez said via ESPN.com. "I need to make a decision and a professional decision, I need to get to 100 percent. We don't have much time to decide. I trained yesterday. I'm sore, but my body is responding well, and if we fight in May, we can announce it in March."