Sunscreen is intended to prevent burns, but that's exactly the opposite of what happened to Brett Sigworth of Massachusetts when he suffered second-degree burns after using aerosol sunscreen spray.
Sigworth told CBS News that he used Banana Boat Sport Performance sunscreen from an aerosol can before walking over to his backyard grill. Little did Sigworth know that the sunscreen would still be flammable after being applied to his body, prompting an investigation by the company.
I sprayed on the spray-on sunscreen, and then rubbed it on for a few seconds. I walked over to my grill, took one of the holders to move some of the charcoal briquettes around and all of a sudden it just went up my arm, Sigworth told CBS Boston.
Sigworth said that, while his friends and girlfriend helped put the fire on his body out, the pain was excruciating.
I went into complete panic mode and screamed, Sigworth told ABC. I've never experienced pain like that in my life.
Continue Reading Below
The accident resulted in second-degree burns to the areas he applied the sunscreen, which can be seen on his chest, ear and back even ten days after the incident.
While the bottle of Banana Boat sunscreen read, Flammable, don't use near heat, flame or while burning, the company never warned about its effects after application.
There is no warning that says this product is flammable when applied to your skin or for a period of time when applied to skin, Sigworth said. I think if people were told this is flammable for two minutes on your skin afterward, people wouldn't use it.
However, officials at Banana Boat, which is owned by Energizer Holdings and manufactured by Sun Pharmaceuticals Corp., apologized to Sigworth in a statement and will investigate.
We are unaware of any prior incidents similar to what Brett has described, but because nothing is more important to us than the safety of our consumers, we are taking this matter very seriously, the statement read.
Brett Sigworth said he doesn't have plans to sue, but rather is telling his story to raise awareness about the dangers of using flammable sunscreen.
It was so scary, Sigworth said. I just wouldn't want to see it happen to anybody else.