There continues to be speculation that Chelsea are intent on adding to their forward line in the January transfer window. It was a position that Jose Mourinho was widely expected to spend significant sums on strengthening over the summer with the likes of Wayne Rooney and Radamel Falcao heavily linked. Yet, in the end 32-year-old Samuel Eto’o arrived on a free transfer, while Romelu Lukaku was surprisingly sent out on loan. Between Chelsea’s three strikers -- Eto’o, Fernando Torres and Demba Ba -- not a single goal has been scored in the Premier League so far this season.
With the failings up front threatening to undermine the impressive creativity that lies in behind, Mourinho may well be tempted to reenter the transfer market in the next window. The latest speculation has suggested that the Portuguese coach is keen to reunite with Real Madrid’s Karim Benzema.
After stating his desire to stay at the Bernabeu this summer, the France international has struggled at the start of the season. His failings in front of goal have even led to jeers from his club’s own supporters on more than one occasion. The Sunday People has now made the claim that Madrid have told Benzema’s representatives to find the player a new club. Along with Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal are also said to be interested. However, the 25-year-old has denied that there is any serious issue.
"There is no problem for me, so I just have to keep working," he said, according to Talksport. "I am calm -- the most important thing is to play. I need to defend more -- I get the public message. I will continue to give my all."
A move to Chelsea also looks unlikely due to the fractious relationship Mourinho enjoyed with his Madrid squad by the end of his time in the Spanish capital.
Continue Reading Below
There has also been talk that Chelsea could look to boost their goal-scoring options by snapping up West Brom prodigy Saido Berahino. The Burundi-born England Under-21 international has come to prominence with five goals in seven appearances this term, including a superb winner against Manchester United recently.
Metro believes that Chelsea have been particularly taken by the 20-year-old and are poised to bid £5 million for him in January, as well as presenting the player with a contract that would significantly improve his current wages of £850 per week.
Another highly rated young forward who is long thought to have been on Chelsea’s radar is Ajax’s Viktor Fischer. After scoring 10 Eredivisie goals in his breakthrough season last campaign, he is being tracked by some of Europe’s biggest clubs. Talksport reports that Roma maybe at the head of the queue and will try to steal a march on their rivals with a move in the next transfer window.
Meanwhile, there has been a bold claim by Spanish sports daily Marca that Chelsea have wrapped up a deal to sign Argentinian defender Nicolas Otamendi for next season. The 25-year-old has established himself in central defense for Porto since arriving from Velez Sarsfield in 2010, although was selected at right back for the 2010 World Cup under the curious regime of Diego Maradona. According to Marca, Chelsea beat Barcelona and Milan to his signature.
With Branislav Ivanovic being seen as a right-back by Mourinho, Chelsea currently have just three established central defenders on their books.